Getting Started

*picture of my OC Bean from picrew.me. I don't own the art in this image!*

What is an Original Character?
So...OC stands for original character. An original character is a character that you create. This character can be from a fandom, from your life, or basically anywhere that you want them to it in. For example, one of my OCs is a part of a movie franchise, but another is just a fun thing for me to think about. Anyone can have an OC. This OC can basically do and be whatever their creator thinks up. They can do literally anything.

Getting started
    Contrary to whatever you might be thinking, OC creation isn't that difficult. The first thing that you should do is start off with a few basic categories that will get you started.

Species
Gender
Sexuality

Species
    In my opinion, finding the species of an OC might be the easiest part. (Again, in my opinion. This is different for everyone.) Think about where your OC lives, what fandoms they belong to (or don't), and the population of those around them. If your OC is an outcast, it might be good to have them be a different species than everyone else around them. On the other hand, if your OC is popular and well liked, it might be good to have them be the same species as everyone else, even going as far as to make them an "idealization" of what their species is supposed to be.
    Additionally, logic could be employed when deciding your OC's species. If they live in a cold place, it wouldn't be logical for them to be a species designed to live in warmer climates. However, if their story is that theyh came to the cold place, that's okay too.

Gender
          This might seem tricky at first, but after some thought, it shouldn't be that difficult. It all boils down to what best suits your OC and how you see them expressing themselves in their world. If you're stuck, just think "What fits?" If you're still stuck, try using different pronouns in a sentence and see what sounds right. Start simple, then get more complex if you want. For example:

She ate a sandwich
He drove to the mall in his car
They talked to their friends after coming home from school, where they study physics.

Sexuality
    This might also seem difficult at first, but it really all depends on who you want your OC to be. It also depends on the other characters that your OC will interact with, who they find attractive, or who they dont. It can also depend on the personality of you OC. If you're unsure about it, that's okay. You can figure it out later.

Thanks for reading!