Chapter Four.

Legend rings with truth. Raya used to say that to me whenever she finished reading me a fairy tale or we came across a myth. She made me read all kinds of myth. From Greek to Egypt mythology and any other one there was. I knew the story of the Pandora's box, Ordeseus and his flute, Cleopatra and the story of Geb and Nut
I knew it all. I had almost memorized them. Because this was the most important lesson after martial arts. If she had told me all those were true, I would have been more inclined to believe her. If she had told me George Washington had planted an apple tree, I would have believed her. Heck if she had told me Santa Clause was real I would believe her. But what she told me was something I never thought was physical or scientifically possible

I stared at her speechlessly for a long time after her so called story.

"Don't just look at me like that. Say something."

"Is this some kind of birthday prank?" Those were the first words that escaped my mouth while my incredulous stare was still trained at her.

"Now I know I sound utterly ridiculous but how would you explain......" She gestured to me, indicating the new hairstyle and new tattoos.

"I don't know, maybe you and your 'when you are old enough to meet them' friends, planned all this. Go on then and give me the cake. You've just made my day horrible." I looked down at my hands, carefully scrutinizing them. Although my conclusion made absolutely no sense, I refused to think otherwise. I didn't want to even think of the ridiculous possibility of it being true. There was no other explanation for the strange happenings tonight but I wanted to blame it all on Raya.

When she didn't make a move, I looked up. She was standing in that weird way she does when she wanted you to know she was dead serious, and that unsettled me greatly.

"Raya..." I said uncertainly

"Do you want me to turn you to a goblin?."

I gulped. She was dead serious. She was really dead serious.

"You've got to be freaking kidding me" I laughed out nervously and turned to her again.

"So you're telling me, werewolves and vampires, witches and wizards, goblins and elves are real???. And I am some sort of heroine that saves the day?????"

She didn't answer, she just kept staring at me.

I gasped as realization set in.
"Does that mean Harry Potter was actually a real wizard?."

"Ash, have a seat" was her quiet reply.

I shook my head refusing to get up from where I was on the floor, muttering to myself
"This can't be real. This can't be real."

Maybe I was dreaming. Maybe it wasn't my birthday yet. I was still on my bed dreaming the whole day away. I pinched myself hard to confirm.
Unfortunately, I felt the pain. I slapped my cheeks repeatedly.

"Wake up Ash. Wake up!"

I was snapped back to reality when I heard the distinct clearing of throat.
Raya was sitting across me on the floor since I had refused to take a seat.

"Calm down. I understand it's way too much to take in, so I'll let you be. Take your time." She said her eyes softening. Raya never looked at me like that. She was never the sentimental type of person, so I was a bit shocked. Her expression cleared and she was back to her normal self.

"It's late. You should go to bed." She said standing up and dusting herself.

"Okay" my voice came out hoarse.

She smiled and waved her hands and before I could comprehend what was going on, an invisible force was pushing me away to my room. I didn't even have the strength to be surprised anymore. The door closed gently behind me at the same time I slumped on my bed.