Paul

La Push, Washington

May 4, 2006

 Paul knew that he messed up.  He knew damn well.  His father told him to make sure that Gwen settles in, to not eat the leftover Panda Express, and to do the dishes, but he left the house, didn't wash the dishes, and ate all of the leftovers.  Well, Jared and Quil ate it.  His two pack brothers showed up at his house because they had just finished patrol and they were "way too hungry" to go all the way to Emily's house.  And Quil wanted to meet Paul's "hot sister".  Paul gave him a bruise for that comment.

But just twenty minutes before Gwen was supposed to arrive, they heard a howl.  Not one they recognized.  Someone else has shifted.  So out of pure habit, Jared and Paul immediately bolted out the front door and shifted.  Quil made sure to lock the door because he figured that Mr. Lahote wouldn't want to come home to an empty house that was left unlocked.  Because God knows how long this would take.

The three wolves were the first to make it to the new shifter because Paul's house was close to it.  Jared went behind a tree to shift back and change while Quil and Paul were about to try and soothe the new shifter.  But right before they could do anything, another unfamiliar wolf revealed himself.  Jared had also rejoined the group and just sighed at the two new shifters.

'Oh, great, two at once.  Again!'  Paul mentally exclaimed.  Of course, the other wolves could hear him.

"Who are you?'  A pubescent male voice entered their minds.  'How are you in my head?'

'More importantly, what the heck are we?'  The other shouted.

'You're shifters, dude!' Quil enthused.  'All of the legends are true!'

'How?' The first shifter inquired.

We'll explain after we help you shift back to normal.  Now, what are your names?'  Paul asked.

'I'm Brady Fuller,' the first one answered.

'Collin Littlesea,' said the other one.

"Ok so in order to shift back you need to concentrate really hard and visualize your human bodies," Paul instructed.

It took an hour and a half for both Collin and Brady to shift back but once they each did Jared tossed them some spare shorts right away.  Paul and Quil were about to shift back when Jared reminded Paul about his sister.  His eyes widened and he took off toward his house.  He shifted back behind the treeline and tugged his shorts on.  His eyes gravitated to the shiny red car parked in the driveway. 'Damn,' he thought as he admired the vehicle, 'Jake's gonna have an aneurysm if he sees this,'  he smirked to himself.

But then Paul remembered who the car most likely belonged to, his sister.  He heard soft snores coming from the window of the guest bedroom and sighed.  'Guess I'll just meet her tomorrow,' he mused as he walked in.

"Woah..." was all Paul could say as he saw how clean the kitchen was.  'Sh*t, she did all of this?'

After staring at the area for a few moments, he made his way to his room.  He decided to check in on Gwen just in case.  He gently opened her door and poked his head in only to be smacked in the face by a pillow.

"Jesus, what the...-?" Paul cut himself off when he saw blue eyes glaring at him.

"You woke me up... and you ate all of the Chinese food and locked me out," Gwen grumbled and turned on the lamp.  Paul just stood there with his wide eyes.  He was meeting his half-sister for the first time and he already messed it all up.

"Um... uh... Sorry," He struggled for words.  "Two of my br- er- friends came over and ate the leftovers and I didn't know that is for you.  And we had to help a couple of kids that got, uh, injured in the forest behind the house.  I guess Jared or Quil locked the door behind us,"  Paul explained only partially lying about Collin and Brady.

Gwen seemed to believe him, "It's fine, I guess," she sighed.  She pulled the covers off of her and clambered out of bed.  Gwen ran her fingers through her tangled locks as she walked up to Paul.  "I'm Gwen Haney, I'm guessing that you're Paul."

Paul had just noticed how tall she was,  she was as tall as him!  And as Gwen extended her hand out for a handshake, he took note of how muscular she was.  Paul shook her hand awkwardly, "Yeah, I am," he said.  Neither of them caught how warm each other was, there own heat making it hard for them to feel the other's.

After a beat of silence, Gwen spoke up, "I'm gonna go back to bed..."

"Oh, right.  Um, I'll see you in the morning," Paul backed out but then stopped, "Oh, hey, uh, after you meet dad tomorrow, could I possibly give you a tour of the res?  And I could also introduce you to my friends, too."

"Sure, that's cool.  I've been meaning to speak to the council anyway," Gwen nodded.

"Really?  What for?" Paul asked curiously.

Gwen tried not to let her panic show as she quickly thought something up, "I want to learn more about my heritage, you know?  My mom couldn't tell me a whole lot because Terrance didn't say much about the tribe's history and folklore, so I always felt distant from my roots," she wasn't exactly lying.  Gwen had always wondered about her Quileute ancestry, but that wasn't the reason why she wants to know about it's history.

Luckily, Paul bought it.  "Oh, ok," he shot her a tight-lipped, awkward smile, "Uh, goodnight, Gwen."

"Goodnight, Paul."

The minute Paul left, she turned the lamp off and climbed underneath her comforter.  She fell asleep once again.