Part 9

Just because they'd achieved some very basic stability that didn't mean that it was time to quit scamming. In fact, when the going was good that was the best time of all. Get some savings to purchase a better future, encourage a few well off chumps to part with their pocket change.

It was how they had enough money to have the courage to even walk into this building without shying away with the knowledge that cash was the only thing that moved the hearts of others.

Cale had decided not to worry so much about the potentially impending apocalypse but that didn't mean he was gratified with remaining a stick thin malnourished orphan with only his memories as a soldier giving him an edge in hand-to-hand combat.

Once upon a time, Cale had actually been quite good with a weapon. He'd had a preference for projectiles but anything would do so long as he was able to use it. He'd probably had the most experience training with a sword and thus that knowledge was what had drawn him towards the dojang where other youths were happily practicing with fake weapons that their parents lovingly paid for to deal with their excess energy.

Cale and Roksu entered along with one such parent, probably looking like someone's siblings, and sat on the sidelines watching the training.

Cale frowned at what he saw. Overall the lesson didn't appear useless, it definitely gave the children some basic stamina and skills, but it reeked of the 'martial arts' of peaceful times. These children weren't training to use a weapon, they were playing a game.

There was only one child among them who caught Cale's eye as exhibiting skill and discipline but it was clear that was due to the child's independent abilities and not the exceptionalism of this class.

It wouldn't be worth his money to enroll. All the training they offered he could do for himself for free. Cale would have left right then but a glance at Roksu proved that his brother was still quite interested in the sight. He'd also caught sight of the single talent in the room and was watching his movements with rapt attention.

Cale settled down in his spot. It wouldn't hurt just to watch if this was something Roksu enjoyed. If it turned out that Roksu actually had an interest in learning this stuff then he'd teach him or even enroll him in this course. He doubted that was the case though. Roksu didn't like physical exercise if he could help it.

It was meditative just to watch. Cale was reminded of Lily despite himself and sometimes he'd allow his eyes to unfocus and imagine that one of the eagerly swinging youths was his long dead baby sister.

She used to hold onto his finger when she was a baby, gurgling at him with wide innocent eyes and testing out different facial expressions with a toothless grin. She used to trail after him sometimes and watch him train, her expression lit with eagerness. She used to train in places where she knew he could see her, as though she wanted to show off everything she'd learned to her trashy older brother.

She used to smile, bright and fearless, as she toddled over to him on shaky feet that had only just learned to walk.

Lily Henituse didn't deserve the death she got.

Cale snapped out of his revere, memories of burnt corpses and disembodied threatening loved ones threatening to overtake his sensibilities. He refocused on the children in front of him and let out a shaky breath.

Roksu wordlessly held his hand, still laser focused on the action. He probably hadn't even realized he'd done it, subconsciously reaching out to hold Cale's hand whenever the bad thoughts threatened to swallow him.

Dammit. Why did Cale always have to have such amazing younger siblings? His life would be a lot easier if he was surrounded by intolerable brats. He closed his eyes and breathed in slowly, smiling despite himself.