Part 16

Human nature is to adapt.

Neither Kim Kwangsu, a boy cursed to die, nor Kim Roksu, a boy cursed with losing all his loved ones, really considered themselves all that unfortunate.

They both led hard lives. Kim Kwangsu spent most of his days dodging tragedy while working his body to the bone. Kim Roksu lived his life in fear of developing affection for anyone and buried himself in adult responsibilities that a child shouldn't have to consider.

They lost and struggled and yet, for them it was just the normal state of things. It's difficult for humans to live each moment in distress so the human mind learns how to accept the unacceptable. They adapt and soon they embrace their new normal.

Cale Henituse hadn't considered himself to be an unfortunate person either. He'd only had the space of mind for the suffering of those he loved and walked with effortless confidence through so many new normal's until one of those normals finally claimed his life.

To an outsider their ceaseless struggles might appear tragic but for the twins, it was just life.

Whether or not their blase perspective on the clear disadvantages weighing them down made their circumstances all the more tragic was entirely up to the perspective of the individual.

Strange as it was, the twins actually considered themselves to be quite fortunate on most days.

As misfortune was their normal, even something that other people would consider to be normal was lucky to them. Today, for example, the pair of them felt as though they had won the lottery by managing to sign the lease on a small apartment together.

There wasn't anything special about the apartment. It was even more humble than the apartment they'd shared with their uncle as children and the surrounding area was as undesirable as it got.

But finding a landlord that was willing to rent to two orphans who had no guaranteers, nonexistent credit score, and limited income was incredible to them.

Frankly, it would seem lucky to anyone under those conditions.

From today onward, there was no more cramped bunk bed in a shared room with a bunch of people they couldn't afford to grow close to. They'd be free of restrictions of the orphanage as well and Cale wouldn't need to do lie quite as much just to earn a living.

For them, it was the beginning of their stable and peaceful life.

Moving costs were nonexistent as well considering that they each only had enough possessions to carry in one shared duffel bag. But with time, they'd be able to save up and buy some meager furniture and then fill the apartment with all the things that would make it theirs.

Roksu was particularly excited because Cale had promised that once they got an apartment, Roksu would be allowed to work too. So long as his job didn't interfere with plans for university.

University was going to be a struggle though. Roksu had applied for just about every scholarship that could feasibly accept him but they were still waiting to hear back. If they didn't receive a positive response then the university would simply be out of reach.

Roksu had the feeling that Cale wouldn't give up even then though. Cale had a relentless determination to see a plan through regardless of the impossibility of the challenge.

Roksu very hypocritically thought that Cale was stubborn to a fault. Completely ignoring all the countless ways that he was as stubborn if not more stubborn than his elder twin.

The pair sat in the empty apartment as the reality of their newfound freedom finally settled onto their hearts.

There was something about that. An experience that was all its own. Sitting in a new home that had been acquired through hard work and determination and knowing that tomorrow would be just a bit more stable because of it. A unique sensation that swept up the heart and settled the soul.