The Proposal

I smiled as I walked back into the small trailer we used as temporary shelter during our digs. Alan Grant, my brother had just terrified another kid with his infamous Raptor claw. I, being ten years younger than my brother, was used to his scare tactics.

I opened the refrigerator and gasped as I heard a man clear his throat. I turned around quickly to see a shorter, older man. He had white hair and a white beard , and was wearing a hat. He was wearing a white short-sleeved button up and had a cane. The cane piqued my interest, for there seemed to be an insect inside it.

I observed it was possibly a mosquito drowned in sap of some sort. Possibly amber? I recovered from my thoughts long enough to speak. "How can I help you?" I asked, glancing at the man curiously.

"Sorry for the fright dear. I wonder if I might inquire your knowledge on the whereabouts of Dr. Grant?" The man asked in an accent I couldn't quite place, while he rummaged through the refrigerator. He pulled out a bottle of champagne.

I was about to speak when the door of the trailer burst open. "What the hell do you think you're doing in here?" Alan asked angrily. If you saw Alan and I side by side, you wouldn't think we were siblings. He had dark blonde hair and blue eyes, while my hair was a light brown. I had blue eyes, but I took after our mother. Whilst everyone acknowledged that Alan was the carbon copy of our father.

I shifted my eyes to the older man, as the cork popped off the champagne. Alan ducked, and I found it hard not to laugh. Then, Alan stood up. "Hey! We were saving that!" He said, pointing to the champagne.

"Alan-" I started, But was silenced by Alan's glare. Alan hardly ever listened to me. I guess it made sense. Who would listen to a sister ten years their junior? The age gap between the two of us made me feel like a child constantly. This of course caused some strife between us because I was most certainly not a child.

I was twenty six years old, not six. "For this I guarantee it!" The man exclaimed and I eyed him. He seemed jolly, and not at all affected by the glare Alan sent his way. This made me respect the man a little, for even I, who proclaimed Alan didn't scare me, still shrunk under his glare. Alan walked up to him and pointed a finger at his chest.

"Who In Gods name do you think you are?" Alan asked him. "John Hammond." The man said and I felt my jaw drop. John Hammond, billionaire, was in our trailer, and Alan had been glaring at him?! John Hammond also happened to be funding our digs. So I watched in amusement as Alan looked positively flabbergasted.

"And I'm delighted to finally meet you in person, Dr. Grant. So I can see that my 50,000 a year has been well spent." John Hammond said, shaking Alan's hand. I watched with widened eyes. John turned to me. "And you are?" He asked and I stammered. "Um, Olivia Grant, Sir. Archaeologist." I told him, and shook his hand.

"Ah, so this must be your wife?" John asked and I laughed. "No. Sister." Alan finally recovered himself enough to say. The door burst open again and Ellie barged in, yanking her hat off of her light blonde hair. Ellie Sattler was my brother's girlfriend. She was also my best friend, despite being ten years my senior. "Who's the jerk?" She said angrily.

Alan looked alarmed. "Um, this is our paleobotanist, Dr. Sattler." Alan said nervously, wrapping his arm around her shoulders. John Hammond walked forward to shake her hand. "Ellie, this is Mr. Hammond." Alan said and Ellie's eyes widened in recognition.

"I'm sorry about the dramatic entrance, Dr. Sattler, but we're in a hurry." John said, shaking her hand. "Did I say jerk?" Ellie said nervously with a grin. John held up the champagne bottle. "Will you have a drink? We won't let it get warm. Sit down." John told us. I glanced at Alan.

John walked over to the sink. "Let me have this." Ellie insisted, by John shook his head. "I'll just get a glass or two. I can do it. I know my way around the kitchen." John told her. Ellie seemed to be trying to make up for calling him a jerk. She walked over to stand by Alan. She shared a quick glance at me and I could tell she was nervous.