10,000 Volts

Alan, Lex, Tim and I went to sleep for about an hour before I was woke up by Lex abruptly crawling over me. I looked up and saw the reason. A Brachiosaurus had gotten very close to us.

It ate one of the leaves right beside us. "Go away!" Lex screamed at it. "It's okay. It's a Brachiosaurus." Alan told her. "It's a Veggie saurus, Lex." Timmy told her and she gasped. "Veggie." She told herself and I nodded.

"We're safe." For now, I thought to myself. I hoped we could defeat the odds and survive, but not many people survived being hunted by a T Rex.

Alan stood up and grabbed a branch of leaves. "Come on girl." He said, feeding the Brachiosaurus. Alan and Tim held on to the branch in a game of tug of war against the Brachiosaurus. Lex was starting to smile. I hoped she wouldn't hate dinosaurs forever, but she has been pretty traumatized.

"It looks like it has a cold." Tim said, running his hand down its face. "Can I touch it?" Lex asked Alan. "Sure." He told her. Lex leaned forward. "Just think of it as a big cow." I told her. "I like cows." She said, reaching out to pet the dinosaur, but it moved away.

The dinosaur leaned back and sneezed all over Lex.

We left the tree then, walking through the jungle like habitat. "Oh great. Now she'll never try anything new. She'll sit in her room. Never come out. Play on her computer." Tim told us. 

"I'm a hacker." Lex told us. "That's what I said. You're a nerd." Tim taunted her. "I'm not a computer nerd." She defended herself. I found this exchange quite amusing. I looked back when I noticed Alan wasn't behind us. I waked back over to see him staring at eggs on the ground.

But that wasn't possible. I remembered what Henry said, 'There's no unauthorized breeding in Jurassic Park'. It seemed there was.

"You know what this is? It's a dinosaur egg." Alan told us, holding up the egg. "The dinosaurs are breeding." Alan told the kids. I realized with satisfaction that Ian and I were right and the smug scientists were wrong. Life had in fact found a way.

"But my grandpa said all the dinosaurs were girls." Tim told us. "Amphibian DNA." Alan said suddenly. It made sense for me at once. "What's that?" Lex asked Alan.

"Well, on the tour, the film said they used frog DNA to fill in the gene sequence gaps." I told them. "They mutated the dinosaur genetic code and blended it with that of frogs." Alan told them as well.

"Some West African frogs have been known to change sex from male to female in a single sex environment. Malcolm was right." Alan told us. I grinned. "I knew that smug scientist was wrong." I muttered. "Look. Life found a way." Alan said in wonder as we saw tiny footprints leading away from the eggs.

We kept walking for most of the day. I never realized how huge this island was until I had to walk my way across it. "I'm pretty tried and it's so hot." Lex told us. "How much father?" Timmy asked Alan.

"Well, looking at the map, I'd say the visitors center is just about a mile over that rise there. Just keep..." Alan stopped as we saw hundreds of dinosaurs running in a group.

"What is that? Tim, can you tell me what those are?" Alan asked him and I couldn't help but observe that he sounded very much like a teacher. "They are, um, Gallimimus." Tim told us.

"Are those meat eaters? Meat-sauruses?" Lex asked us nervously. Alan walked up. "Look at the wheeling. Uniform direction changes. Just like a flock of birds evading a predator." Alan said in amazement.

I started to back away with the kids as they got closer. "They're flocking this way." Tim said and we turned and ran.

Alan grabbed Timmy's hand and I grabbed Lex's and we rushed to a tree that was down and hid behind it.

I gasped as I heard a familiar roar. The T Rex. I hoped he didn't see us, because I didn't think we were lucky enough to escape the T Rex two times. We all watched in horror as the T Rex grabbed one of the Gallimimus' with his teeth and threw it.

"I want to go now." Lex whispered. "Just look how it eats. I'll bet you never look at birds the same way again." Alan muttered and I jabbed him in the elbow. "Alan. We need to go." I told him, because he seemed to be in a daze.

"Okay. Keep low and follow me." Alan said and we crawled behind him. We made our way slowly and stood up to see the T Rex had moved on. After that we walked for about thirty more minutes when we finally reached one of the huge perimeter fences.

I doubted it was working, since the other fences weren't. Alan stepped onto the ledge and threw a stick at it. The stick just clattered to the ground. "I guess that means the powers off." I told him.

Alan turned back and grabbed the wire with both of his hands and screamed. "Alan!" I shrieked as the kids screamed. Alan turned around and grinned. I rolled my eyes. "Alan are you seriously making jokes at a time like this?" I said scoldingly and Alan grinned. "That's not funny." Lex muttered as well.

Alan was looking at the fence, trying to find a way through it. "Maybe we could..." he trailed off, trying to see if he could fit through the wires. The T Rex roaring cut him off.

"Alan maybe we can climb over. We need to get out of here." I told him desperately. The T Rex roared again and the kids ran over and climbed onto the ledge. I followed them.

We each grabbed onto the wire, trying to climb over. I just hoped the power didn't come back on. "Timmy, I bet I could climb over to the other side before you could even get to the top." Lex taunted Timmy. "What would you give me?" Timmy asked her. "Respect." Lex said and I laughed.

"They sound like we used to." I told Alan. "Yeah they do." He told me.

We made our way over the top and climbed to the other side. Timmy was still on the other side. Alan, Lex and I hopped down as an alarm sounded. "Oh my God! The power!" I said as Timmy shrieked, and almost fell.

"Get down now!" Lex yelled. "Timmy, you're going to have to jump!" Alan told him. Timmy seemed terrified. "Are you crazy? I'm not gonna jump!" Timmy told us. "Tim, do what Dr.  Grant says!" Lex yelled.

"Timmy, please. You've got to!" I yelled. "I'll count to three. Come on. One two three!" Alan yelled, but Timmy didn't jump.

"I'm coming up to get you." Alan said and Lex grabbed his arm. "I've got to get Tim." Alan told her. "Okay, I'm gonna count to three." Timmy told us.

"One."

"Two-" Timmy was cut off by the fence turning on and blasting him off. He landed in Alan's arms, knocking him down. "Oh my God." I said as I realized Timmy had just been shocked by 10000 volts.