Chess

You're not sure what good you expected to come of the werewolves, but they're certainly throwing Seabrook into upheaval. The pack barely arrived a few days ago, and already you can tell that nothing will be as it once was.

Your fears could, of course, be more than slightly exacerbated by the fact that the werewolves are making your best friends totally freak out. Zed is certain that their quickly lessening tolerance for proper etiquette will lead to harsher crackdowns on zombies, and although Addison is more wearily accepting of them than her boyfriend, no one can deny that the werewolves are as suspicious as they come.

You, for one, are used to all manner of suspicious things. Suspicious happens when you're best friends with the zombies even before Seabrook lowered its restrictions on monsters, when your best friend, Addison, has a shock of white hair that she can't explain, and also when you happen to be a witch.

It has been fairly easy to be a witch in this town, all things considered. You're able to pass as a normal human so long as you aren't obvious with your spells, and by the time you revealed yourself, everyone was so accepting of zombies that they just shrugged and admitted you along with them. Now, the worst you have to fear is someone begging you for a love potion the night before the school dance.

Still, so long as there is tension within Seabrook, you'll never be totally at ease. You don't need Zed's whispering to tell that there's definitely something up with the werewolves. Although they claim that they're only here to go to school, they've been eyeing Addison's hair with enough fervor to make anyone doubt them. The only question now is when they'll strike, and how bad the aftermath will be.

For now, though, they seem content with doing their best to blend in. It feels like everywhere you look, you see a werewolf or two trying to make their way in the complex world of Seabrook High social politics, or that could just be due to the fact that one of them is approaching you right now.

You've been on the receiving end of a fair share of werewolf attention ever since the pack arrived. They've been all over you in not so discreet questions about your spells, what they can be used for and how good you are at locating other sources of magic.

Of all of the werewolves, however, you think that Wyatt Lykensen has been the most persistent. You've seen him hanging around a couple of times now, pretending to be reading a book or doing homework, but whenever you glance away, he goes back to his chief task: watching you.

It doesn't feel malicious, his sudden attention, more like he's trying to get a read on you. No one quite knows how to deal with a witch, seeing as there's only ever been one of you, but you get the feeling Wyatt is angling for something a little more. You can't help the guess that the werewolves want your help, but whether they'll actually ask for it, that remains to be seen.

Today, however, just might be that day. Wyatt slides into a seat at the other side of the library table, propping his elbows up on the smooth surface.

He says nothing at first, and you arch a brow at him. "Good morning," you say pointedly, and he has the decency to look chagrined.

"Good morning indeed," Wyatt comments all too casually, "How was your weekend?"

You shrug absentmindedly, attention less on Wyatt and more on the chessboard in front of you. Although Addison may be one of your best friends, you're far less destined for the cheerleading squad than she is. Instead, you're a dedicated member of the Seabrook chess team, even when that means you have to study up outside of meetings to make sure you can keep your winning streak.

"Not bad," you mumble, staring daggers at a rook that refuses to act as you'd like it, "Did some witchy stuff, you know, the usual."

Wyatt seems intrigued by this. "Witchy stuff? Like the talismans in front of you?"