*✧・゚:* chapter 3*:・゚✧

sophie grumbled in her sleep, suddenly awoken by a loud banging sound. she groaned and cracked her sore neck, she gazed over at the castle door but gasped once hearing two small sets of rapid footsteps. sophie quickly let her head fall back as she pretended to sleep snoring very loudly "hey! who's this lady ?"markl asked out loud, (name) stood at his side and replied with a small frown "she been here since last night" "porthaven door" the fire demon called out "How'd she get in here?" the chestnut-haired boy asked his sibling like a friend "I dunno" the small girl replied inspecting the old woman's appearance.

"stand by" markl called out, he attached a blue cape to his shoulders, and with a flick of his wrists he was transformed into an old-looking man. (name ) following after him and standing near the railing of the stairs after giving Sophie on last suspicious glance  "Mr. Mayor, good day." markl greeted in a low voice "Good afternoon, sir. Would the great Wizard Jenkins be at home?" the man asked (while Sophie leaned in her chair, glancing at the two children on the other side of the room for a brief moment) "I am afraid that my master is out at the moment. I speak for him in his absence." "the small old man " replied "His Majesty requires that every witch and wizard aid our homeland." the mayor explained giving markl a sealed envelope  "Wizard Jenkins must report to the palace immediately," he instructed.

sophie craked her soar back once more and stood up grabbing some firewood "I can't believe it's come to this" she told herself "And what do you think you're doing here, Grandma?" markl asked in a low voice, still in his disguise. (name) standing at his side, her arms crossed over her small chest as she stared skeptically at the elder woman "Calcifer said that
I could come in." the old lady replied with a smile, " you said she wandered in!" the small girl accused the fire demon with a raised eyebrow "i did! she came all the way from the Wastes!" clacifier defended himself, as markl lowered the hood of his cape "She's from the Wastes?" he asked "How do we know that she's not a witch?" the small girl asked skeptically with a frown as markl went to place the envelope atop of the cluttered table  "Do you really think I'd
let a witch in here?" the fire demon scowled as if he was just insulted by the two children.

"Porthaven door again!" calcifier called out "Must be a customer" markl replied simply slipping his hood on once again "Stand by." he opened the door to reveal a small girl (probably the same age as name) "yes my dear child ?" he asked in a low voice "my mom sent me  to pick up a spell" the girl replied in a young squeaky voice "Yes, do come in" he instructed and the glanced at Sophie grumbling under his breath "just keep quiet and don't cause any trouble, Grandma." he scowled, as the small girl sent a shy wave towards (name). Sophie walked towards the nearby window and let out a small gasp. no longer were there fields beyond fields of tall grass and fog. no. in its place stood a small town near the sea. Boats going in and out of the harbor as seagulls sang and chirped over the sounds of waves and passing ships "it's not the watses" the old lady mumbled.

"Excuse me, Granny, are you a witch too?" the small girl asked. Sophie hesitated for a moment before smiling widely "That's right. I'm the scariest witch of them all.!" she replied playfully as the small girl giggled shyly "Dust your ship with this powder and the winds will favor it." markl turned to the girl handing her a small parcel. she took it thanking his and giving him a couple of coins "Farewell, child." the small boy called out, before turning to the elder woman with a scowl "Quit telling lies to our customers. he grumbled "What about you? You're wearing a disguise." the old lady retorted back "i have to. I'm practicing my magic" markl explained "It's the Kingsbury door!" the fire demon shouted "stand by" marlk called out as he shifted the key to red"Good day. Would this be the residence of the great Wizard Pendragon?" a well-dressed man at the door asked  "it is " "I bear an invitation. from His Majesty the King. Please inform Mr. Pendragon that all witches and wizards are required to report for duty at the palace." the blond man informed "I will inform him right away." the small boy reassured as Sophi approached the stairs and gasped at the sight. powered airships flew up in the sky while the streets were littered with people. marvelous and fancy buildings stood in front of the disguised castle just on the other side of the road.

"This is the royal city, isn't it?' she asked in astonishment  "Move it, Grandma or you'll lose your nose!" markl called out as he closed the door "And stop wandering around!" the small (h/c) girl called out from the fireplace as she left another log of wood for calcifer. Sophi grinned as she glanced over her shoulder, she shifted the portal key once more and opened the door. a fresh breeze lightly blew as she gazed at the fogy landscape of the wastes. she shifted the portal key once again with a giggle. leading her to the seaside town of Porthave, locals rushing about on their daily commute. she chuckled as she shifted and played with the door "Leave it alone, Grandma. I'm getting angry." markl grumbled leaning onto the railing of the stairs,  (name) at his side with a small pout "This is a magic house, isn't it?" the old lady asked in glee as the two children groaned at her response, but she didn't mind as she then asked, "So, tell me, where
does the black one lead?" "Only Master Howl knows that" (name) explained snootily, turning her nose up at the old woman in disdain.

"I need some breakfast. I'm starved..." the small boy grumbled as he grabbed some bread and cheese, as Sophie grabbed a trey of large meat  "don't you want to have some bacon and eggs?" the old lady offered "Yeah, but we can't use the fire. Master Howl's not here." he dismissed with a grumble  as he shoved off some clutter off the table to eat "Don't worry, I can cook." Sophie reassured in a blunt tone as she grabbed a large pan off the wall "its been a while since we've had a warm meal markl" the small girl argued fiddling with her fingers shyly as markl shot down the idea with a frown "it doesn't matter if you can cook. Calcifer only obeys Master Howl." he retorted as calcifer yelled out "That's right, lady! I'm not taking any orders from you!" he grumbled as he blew a raspberry, but the old lady didn't even acknowledge him and his remark as she leaned down to retrieve her fallen hat. Sophie then turned to calcifer and rolled up her shall " All right, Calcifer! Let's get cooking!" the fire demon flared in anger "I don't cook! I'm a scary and powerful fire demon!" Sophie didn't even react to his outburst and kept smiling mischievously as she responded "How would you like a bucket of cold water in your face?" she  then asked mockingly "Or maybe I should tell Howl about our bargain?"

calcifer sputtered in anger  "Stupid me! I never should have let her in here!" he yelled as the large pan was suddenly shoved in his face making him smaller "That's right. That's a good fire" "Here's another curse. May all your bacon burn." he grumbled under his breath "Calcifer's doing what she says." markl said in astonishment as (name) rushed over with a smile to help her cook "yay! warm food!" she giggled passing the old lady the eggs "I think I'd like some tea too. Do you have a kettle?" Sophie asked " sure" markl replied rushing over to look for the kettle, as calcifer called out in disbelief "who's side or you two on?! (name)! do not give her those eggs! hey!  hey! Markl! what do you think you're doing!?" he scowled as the door suddenly opened.

*✧・゚:* end of chapter 3*:・゚✧

sorry that this is kinda short, but I've been meaning to update this story for a while and this is what I was able to power through. if you're looking for more reads i have an ( over-the-garden wall x reader ) book up on my profile along with a list of my requested and personal books I look forward to work on. hope you understand  - with love, rems