Chapter Three

When Daisy woke up, Fang was watching her. His mouth quivered in what she assumed was a smile. "Hey there..." he murmured. "Time to get up. Come get on my back and I'll carry you up." The butterfly whimpered, then sighed. She had no choice but to trust him, at least for now.

Daisy crawled onto Fang's back and held on as he ascended effortlessly out of the burrow. Daylight met her eyes, along with the aroma of flowers in bloom. She got off and looked around. The trees above them rustled softly.

"Alright, I gotta start working on my den. Think you can go find some water for me, little butterfly?" Fang asked. Daisy nodded. "Yes, Fang. I will." The spider cocked his head at her. "By the way, butterfly, what's your name?"

"Daisy..." she replied.

"Daisy..." Fang repeated. "After I fix my den, I'll hunt around for something I can use for your wing. But you must get me some water first, and do everything I tell you to. It is important for your survival. And don't wander too far. Do you understand?"

The butterfly nodded, not exactly proud of her new servant role. "I understand, Fang. I'll be careful." With that, the spider turned his attention to the den.

Daisy walked a little ways into the grass. She didn't remember seeing any kind of water source anywhere, but she had to find some. As she skipped along, she thought she heard a familiar voice calling her.

"Hey! You there!"

She turned to see the ladybug running up. "I can't believe you actually survived," the ladybug said. "I mean, a downed butterfly is instantly eaten up. Not to alarm you, dear. I'm afraid I never caught your name."

"I'm Daisy," the butterfly said. "And I've found a place to stay until I can be able to fly again."

The ladybug smiled, adjusting her straw hat. "My name is Dot. I couldn't get you out of my mind the other night. At the moment, I didn't know how to help you, and I'm sorry for it. Really. If there's anything I can do to help you, I'd be willing to assist you in any way I can."

Daisy stooped to one knee to look at Dot. "Well, now that you mention it, I need to find some water. A lot of water. For a friend."

Dot replied, "Oh! I know where some water is! Follow me!"

They talked as they walked along. Dot had asked Daisy what had happened after she had parted ways with her.

"Oh, well..." the butterfly trailed off. She wasn't quite sure what to say. How could she tell Dot about Fang? "I was chased by a scorpion, but I got away. I fell into a big hole...and I stayed there for a little while."

"That sounds dreadful!" Dot exclaimed. "I should never have left you. I should have done more to help."