Epilogue

Long after the events of this story, Fang and Daisy's offspring hid themselves away from the rest of the world, afraid of what both human and insect alike would think of this unnatural pairing. Which is why if you asked someone if they've ever heard of a "sputterfly", they'd have no idea what you're talking about. Because they've never seen them with their own eyes.

Daisy and Fang had many other eggsacs besides this, and lived a long, happy life together. So did Sage, Morales, and Musca. They watched the seasons pass and new generations of insects emerge from within the town of Ridpath. To this day, it is unclear whether the town and the village still stand, and if anybody at all remembers what had transpired back in the 1930s.

Now, in the 21st century, something strange is happening to the insect kingdom. Many species are disappearing altogether. Fireflies, honeybees, and even some varieties of butterflies are facing extinction from the pesticides and chemicals humans are using on their gardens. Insects and spiders of every sort are going away.

Swallowtails, including emerald swallowtails, are on the brink of extinction.

So before they're gone entirely, I want people to remember their little kingdom. How they have their own ecological system and way of life, and can communicate with one another. And how they play a bigger role in our lives than we can imagine.

Because one day, we might wake up and they're all gone. So please...appreciate them while you still can. And protect your gardens using safer methods.

Thank you.

                       THE END