Chapter Zero.

I bit the inside of my bottom lip, squinting at the article in front of me. With a sigh, I lean back in my brown leather chair, closing my eyes.

Why is work so stressful?

I haven't slept more than six hours in the last three days and as I let a very long and exhausted sigh, all the sleep deprivation hits like a brick all at once.

My phone suddenly goes off causing me to jump out of my sleep with a snort.

"Mom"

Is what the flashing screen read. I answer, putting her speaker.

"Hi mama".

"You sound exhausted, are you okay?".

"I'm fine. Work is just.. a lot".

"Hm.. I told you to come with me to mountains but noo, you decided to stay and make yourself miserable".

I sigh. "Is there a reason you called or are you just going to scold me?".

"Girl you better watch your tone". Mama shot back in a strict voice. I stayed silent but didn't miss the opportunity to roll my eyes. "When I get back, I want you to meet with me and Derek as well as the Brolinni's".

(Pronunciation- Bro- Lean-nee)

I immediately shot up, all the exhaustion leaving me. "What?! Why?"

"Because.. Rose and I were talking and we thought it would be nice to reunite for a brunch. We haven't all gotten together in three years.. I personally think it's time".

"Will .. you know who.. be there?"

Mama sucked her teeth at my childish behavior. "Yes, he will. God E, will you ever let go of that nonsense". She spoke as though it was a question but her voice is firm.

My face immediately scrunched into a stink look at the thought of seeing Blaine.

"I have to go, Derek just came back with whipped cream and fruit". The excitement in her voice made my petty stink face grow into a disgusted one. She hung up.

Glancing at the circle clock on the crème colored wall, I roll my tongue against the inside of my cheek and decide it's time to go home.

I exit the elevator, entering the dark and deserted garage. The only sound are my red open toe heels clicking against the cement.

My head falls back onto my black head-seat once I enter my car. I sit in my car for five minutes—just in silence. No thoughts, nothing. Just in silence with cool and steady breaths. When the five minutes was up, I started my car and played "Redbone" by Childish Gambino softly.

-
Immediately as I enter my condo apartment I take off my heels, jacket and shirt while not even once stopping on my way to my bed.

Meeting my bed, I take off my dress pants as well as my bra and flop down onto my bed. My body hits the bed and I swear it felt like an extra fifty pounds have been lifted. I can't even remember the last time I used this bed. For the past week I've been sleeping at work because the cast I'm working on.

Thank the Holy Ghost that tomorrow is the last day of this case. After this case I can finally take it easy.

This is the biggest case I've had in a while. Every time I think we're ahead, the opposing team uncovers another secret resulting in us being ten steps forward, twenty steps backwards.

Damn this is so stressful.

I should've just thrown this at one of higher teams are my firm.