Chapter 7 - The Little One

[March 11th, 2007 – Helicarrier, location classified]

Natalia had never been one to sleep very much, but lately she'd been sleeping even less than usual. She preferred not to dwell on things too much, it was never good and often led to erratic decisions made on the verge of uncertainty. Yet, ever since she'd surrendered to S.H.I.E.L.D. so they could lock her up, there was a small detail she wasn't able to get out of her mind. The way Maria had looked at her. The hurt in her eyes, and beyond that, something Natalia wasn't even able to recognize. She only knew nobody else had ever looked at her that way.

She had spent a lot of her time in silence, those past two days on the Helicarrier. Scientists and doctors would check on her and do their research without paying much attention to her. She handled the maps and the few people brave enough to talk to her, then they all left to take on the facilities she pointed out. As far as she knew, Phil Coulson, Bobbi Morse and Clint Barton were leading the teams. She didn't ask herself why they were so comfortable letting her know their full, real names. It was far too easy to explain. She was never going to get too far from that cage ever again.

She didn't mind. That was what she asked for in demanding that they arrested her.

"Black Widow?"

She lifted her head in the direction of the doctor with the English accent.

"I'm sorry, you weren't responding and I didn't know how I should address you. I didn't want to overstep by using your first name."

"It's fine. Did I space out?"

Simmons nodded. "I asked if you were okay."

Natalia shrugged. "If something goes wrong, Fury and Carter will blame me, won't they?"

"Those are highly trained operatives, why would anything go wrong?"

"Because the guys on the other side are highly trained operatives, too."

Simmons nodded again, then opened a map showing Red Room facilities on the big screen fixed to the wall.

"Why don't we see if we can pick the next ones they should head for?" Jemma proposed. "It would be helpful. You can draw the maps again and they can try to get to Hill tomorrow."

Natalia sighed, but eventually she nodded and got up.

"So, ruling out the three they're currently at and the two Maria has already taken out, that leaves us with another seven."

"Two?" Natalia asked.

"Yes. She headed to Perm and got into the facility during the night. The Russian police got a call, headed over there and found them all restrained, next to tons of files with the details of their illegal local activities. They'll all be locked up for a long time."

"No bombs, this time?"

"They were almost all tech guys there, weren't they? She was met with almost no resistance, she took care of it quickly and neatly."

Natalia had to admit she was impressed. She expected a reason why a twenty-six year old was a Commander and trusted with being in charge of some incredibly high profile missions, but she didn't think it would be this obvious that she absolutely belonged there.

"And this morning, where is she headed?"

"I was hoping you would tell us that."

Natalia looked at the maps and thought about it for a moment.

"She might be headed for Ekaterinburg. That's close to Perm, so she might've headed over there right after she wrapped up. Depending on her injuries and how much sleep she needs before going back in again, she might strike in a few hours."