Chapter 12 - And Waited No More

[April 19th, 2007 – Helicarrier, location classified]

Until recently, Natasha wasn't allowed into the gym. She'd received clearance a few days back, and in order to avoid prying eyes, she usually went really early in the mornings. She'd never ran into anyone thus far.

At least until that day.

Back from her mission and unable to sleep, Maria had decided to train as well.

When Natasha walked in, Maria was throwing punches at a bag hard enough that Natasha wondered if she was actively trying to break it. Natasha could have stayed quiet, or she could have backed right out. Instead, she let go of the door so it would bounce back and shut loudly.

Maria turned toward the noise and saw Natasha standing there, already changed into her workout gear. She turned back and started boxing again.

Natasha walked towards her silently, not feeling irritated in the slightest that Maria wouldn't even greet her. It wasn't bothering her at all.

She started stretching.

"How was Belgium?"

Maria paused. "There were no casualties." She hit the bag again, then paused, realizing that it wasn't what Natasha was asking her. "The weather was weird, super dry and really hot. Apparently it was the warmest April in decades."

"You do have a smile that could warm up a whole country." Natasha smirked.

Maria stopped. Blinked. Then turned.

Natasha's smirk still held. "Wanna spar?" She gestured with her head to the mats.

"Sure." Maria said evenly, following her to the ring. "So I can kick your ass for that joke."

Natasha smiled as she fell into a fighting stance and waited for Maria to do the same. "How was your date with Tony Stark?"

Maria looked surprised for a split second, then mimicked her stance. "It was nice. He was nice."

"Just nice?"

"We kissed."

Natasha hesitated for a single fraction of a second, and Maria used that to attempt a light punch. Natasha dodged it quickly and moved aside, trying for a low kick that made Maria jump back.

"Good. That's good. Is he as charming as his one night stands say?" Natasha asked as she went for a combo of three punches that Maria blocked and dodged.

"He's one of the smartest men alive."

Maria tried again and again to land a punch, but Natasha weaved and dodged every blow, simply a natural in defense. They both managed to exchange a couple of hits, eventually.

"When are you seeing him again?"

"He drops by every once in a while to check on his investments."

"Sounds so romantic."

They started to feel slightly tired by the time the first three people walked in and headed for the changing room, glancing in their direction first and muttering something.

"We should-" Maria's words were rudely interrupted when Natasha swiftly used her shoulder as leverage to jump mid air, wrapping her legs around Maria's neck and bringing her down with her back to the mat.

Maria laid there, looking up at the ceiling, the breath knocked out of her and Natasha's face standing above hers – just like a vision. Maybe it was the fact that her head had violently collided with the mat, but right then and there, she looked just like her Natasha. Just like she remembered her.