SEVEN

Nasir | February 1993

"Ma, I'm just going to the studio!" I pulled my hoodie over my head and walked the narrow hallways of our share apartment

"It's late at night and you want me to believe that you're going to the studio?" My mother, Ann, is a sweet woman. Didn't use vulgar language nor did she allow it when she was around.

My moms was old school. Raised in North Carolina and moved to New York for a better life with my father. Their marriage didn't last too long after 1985. He was a sloppy nigga, bringing women inside of the apartment and constantly putting hands on her.

She couldn't take it anymore and neither could I. She's been holding us down on her own since then while Pops travels the world fucking God knows who and doing God knows what. Not that I give a fuck anyway.

"What you want me to do, Ma? Show you my beeper?" I joked with her as I was looking for my Timbs. I pray to God that Jungle didn't wear my shit just to serve the fiends again tonight.

"Actually, yeah. Let me see your pager." My mom stood by the front door with her hand out, waiting for me to put the beeper in her hand.

"Ma, you don't even know what these numbers mean." I laughed at her. She just wanted to make sure her first born was safe. And as long as I kept my head on a swivel and this heat on me, I was going to be good regardless of her worries.

"I just want to know that you're safe, baby. That's all. I know you take your rap music seriously." My mom said as she was watching me scavenge the shoe pile. I couldn't find my Timbs at all.

"Shit!" I said accidentally loud enough that my mom could hear. Her hand smacked the back of my freshly cut scalp. "Ow! Dang, Ma! My bad." I tried to duck her hand but she was faster than I was. I had to take the hit like a man.

"Watch your mouth, boy!" My mom yelled behind my neck. "Yes ma'am." I replied. I had no choice but to wear my Air Force 1s outside in the snow. Jabari had taken my Timbs yet again. I might as well let him have them and buy another pair for myself since he loves to crease shit that isn't his.

I slipped my feet inside of the all white Nikes and stomped in them a few times. My mom grabbed my black bomber jacket and put it over my shoulders, catching me off guard a little bit.

"You're a man now, but you better beat the sun. You understand me?" My mom's proverbs were so southern. All she had to say was be home before sun rise. But, that was apart of her charm. I smiled at my mother, kissing her cheek.

"Heard you, Ma. Love you." I said as I opened the front door, covering my fade with my hoodie.

"I love you more, son."

Gia | 10:03pm

A loud bang woke me up from my sleep. I wasn't sleep for more than thirty minutes. After working another late shift, all I wanted to do was soak in the tub, eat the food I had brought home from George's and sleep.