records

The sun was especially strong today, any puddles on the sidewalks from our last rain had dried up weeks ago. It was clear we were in the middle of a drought and the pressure was felt by everyone. The only thing that seemed to keep people going was the rise of Elvis. Any and every radio station was playing his music on a continued loop. Ever since his appearance at the fair he was anyone could talk about, seeing that I was out of town when this took place I unfortunately missed the big occasion.

You should have been there Y/n, this man is quite a sight for sore eyes. My friend gushed when I had asked her about him. Apparently he wasn't only a good singer. Today was my first day back to work since getting back in town and I was already running late due to the harsh environment surrounding the city.

"Your shift started 10 minutes ago." My boss voices the moment I burst through the record store doors, thankfully he wasn't much of a hard ass so the most I was going to get was a warning.

"I'm sorry sir it won't happen again." I apologize whilst throwing my hair up allowing air to hit my neck, fortunately the air conditioning worked in here but somehow that still wasn't enough to escape from the heat outside.

"I'm going out for lunch. I don't expect we'll be busy today so just watch over the register and tidy up the place." He instructs me before slipping out the door I just came in from. I glanced around and unsurprisingly all the records were already in their designated spot meaning there wasn't much to do except shop around on the clock. I started flipping through the stack closest to me, not looking for anything particular when the door opened and quickly shut. Either my boss had forgotten something or someone dared to get out in the rising temperatures for a record.

Turning around I'm met by a man with dark slicked back hair, a few pieces popping out and yet they still weren't out of place. What drew my attention though was his bright blue eyes and how they seemed to have this special sparkle in them. I smile and turn back to the records in front of me, if he was looking for anything specific he would ask.

"You mind?" He questions from behind me referring to the records in my hand. I slightly jump not hearing his footsteps approach but swiftly compose myself and move to the side.

"Didn't mean to scare you there." He grins noticing my rattled manner, and just like I could have predicted his teeth were just as perfect as the rest of him.

"You just sneaked up on me, that's all." I laugh, picking up on how his eyes traced over every record and yet I still felt like I had his full attention.

"I haven't seen you around here before." He points out finally looking at me directly in the eyes.

"I've been out of town most of the summer visiting my dad." I explain to a complete and total stranger, I internally yell at myself for saying too much already. Most people, even some of my friends, thought my father was dead considering the way I talked about him but sadly he's very much alive.

"Divorce?" He asks as if it was any of his business.

"Sorry, mama, sometimes I'm too curious for my own good. You don't have to answer that." He continues, the words leaving his mouth faster than I've ever heard them before. I softly smiled, finding it cute he had the decency to catch himself after invading my personal life.

"No you're fine. You're right though, my mom and him got a divorce when he was sent to jail and he just recently got out and somehow has started a new family so he bought me a car if I came to visit which is hard to turn down." I ramble, feeling an odd need to get it off my chest. The sensation of letting that out was pure relief bordering on a form of ecstasy.

"Do you just go around telling everyone your whole life story?" He inquired instead of offering me pity which I oddly found more comforting.

"No just you so I would appreciate it if you didn't tell anyone else." I say in a joking tone even though I was totally serious.

"I'll take it to my grave." He promises whilst crossing his heart. I nod as a thank you before walking off to the other side of the store, before I could even make it 2 steps a hand gripping my wrist stopped me from doing so.

"You got a name."

"Y/n, you?"

"Elvis." He smirks before bringing my hand up to his lips and placing a delicate kiss to my knuckles. My jaw drops, this was just my luck. I spilled one of my deepest secrets to a local star.

"You working tomorrow?" He asks, seeing that I was speechless, unable to form any sort of conversation. I just bob my head up and down, hoping that answer would do instead of a verbal one considering my jaw was frozen in an open and locked position.

"I'll see you tomorrow then, mama." And just like that he disappeared as fast as he entered my life.