lifetime apart pt 1.

It had been years since I'd last seen Elvis, in person that is. His face had recently been taunting me on t-shirts work by random people. I was fully aware of his rise to fame which is why I was so unwilling to move back home but unfortunately I had no choice in the matter. My parents had both gotten great job offers that they refused to turn down.

I watched the scenery pass by as our car flew down the street leading up to our old house. Somehow my parents managed to talk the new owners into selling, they thought it would be easier for all of us to adjust to the move if we returned to my childhood home. Once I began recognizing the surroundings I knew we were close. Within no time we started winding down the paved driveway that eventually led to a huge colonial styled home. As the car rolled to a stop I peered out my window trying to make out which window belonged to my old, or now current bedroom.

I hastily throw the door open and hop outside, my legs almost giving out underneath me due to the amount of time they had been crushed behind the front seats.

"Home sweet home." My mother sings whilst taking a good look at what was now considered home. Wasting no time I grab my suitcases and head inside, hoping the sooner I could unpack the better I would feel about my situation. I only got halfway through hanging up my clothes before my father yelled for me to come downstairs.

"We spent more than 17 hours in a car together I think the last thing we need is more family time." I mumble, irritated I couldn't get more than a hour of peace and quiet. I trudge down the stair case, wondering what they could possibly need me for. As I enter the living room I'm met with my parents along with two tiger people that looked slightly familiar.

"Wow Y/n, you've grown into such a beautiful women." The unknown women smiles causing me to be even more confused.

"You remember the Presleys?" My mother asks, seeing the hazy expression flashing across my face. Hearing that name everything clicked. These were Elvis's parents, but why were they here?

"We saw someone new move in next door and thought it was polite to come and say hello and you can imagine the wonderful surprise we stumbled upon when your parents answered the door." Mr. Presley explains, as if he was reading my mind.

"Oh that's brilliant, do you guys not live in that one apartment anymore?" I question, recalling the low income apartment complex that I would visit when Elvis and I had play dates. Putting two and two together I guessed that Elvis must have bought him and his family a housing upgrade with his new found money.

"Not anymore, we're actually your neighbor now." Mrs. Presley beams causing my face to immediately drop. I know how much Elvis prioritized his family which meant that he most likely was living next door also.

"We'd love to have your family over for dinner tomorrow. I know how happy Y/n would be to see Elvis, those two were like a couple peas in a pod back in the day." My mom enthused, completely clueless of my resistance to see my old best friend. Before I moved I developed a huge school girl crush on him but it wasn't about that, it was about the fact that I was afraid the fame had changed the boy I once considered my best friend. I casually excuse myself and return back to my room, wishing we never came back here in the first place. The day flew by and before I knew it the sun began to set and the sky grew dark and yet I still had yet to finish arranging my room to my liking and thanks to the moving truck arriving later than expected I now had to put together my bed frame all by myself.

"I really hope mom unpacked the coffee machine." I sigh, heading to the kitchen hoping to find some caffeine because there was no way I was going to sleep before getting everything assemble. After 3 cups of coffee and half a bag of chips I was only a third of the way done and I wasn't even sure if what I had already accomplished was done correctly. While trying to decide to whether to start over or continue doing it wrong I fell asleep against my empty luggage.

I hadn't even noticed I had fallen asleep until the sound of my door creaking open woke me up. Not realizing how late in the day it already was I don't bothering opening my eyes and attempt to fall back asleep.

"Cant even give your best friend a simple greeting?" A voice I'm not able to identify teases. At record speed I sit up, grabbing the nearest item to me and wielding it as a weapon. Once the figure comes into focus Immediately drop the hammer clasped in my hand.

"What are you doing here?" I question, the only way I knew what he looked like after all this time apart was due to the many pieces of merchandise that displayed his face. Somehow he was even more attractive in person, casual clothing did wonders compared to the suits he performed in.

"My family is here for dinner, your parents invited them over yesterday." Elvis explains, scanning my expression for any sort of recognition.

"It's already tomorrow?" I practically shout, shocked that basically a whole day went and I spent it sleeping on the ground.