Chapter 46 -- Die Your Man

"At last!" Utor proclaimed, his food sitting untouched before him. "At last -- a chance to strike back!"

"This must be good fortune indeed," Rhoz said, "if it is weighty enough to spoil your appetite."

"Indeed it is. Amech and Trevolta have brought us our salvation. You will hear all about it at Great Chapter this afternoon."

Another meeting! Rhoz' heart sank. She had been planning to take a nap.

"How did they manage to get here?" she asked. "I thought you said the new barrier was unbreachable."

"It was no easy feat. They had to pass through the Northlander guards and remain undetected as they searched for a gap. Then they walked to the Dragonhold garrison."

"It is a wonder they risked it, instead of sending underlings with a message."

"This was too important." Utor lowered his voice. "In three days, Peregret will take back the Great Crossroad."

"That is good news -- but what need is there to inform us?"

"They want us to join forces with them. They will charge out of Praxenkyr from one side, and we will charge through the barrier on the other, and catch the Northlanders in the middle. Who knows -- we may even secure the Great Bridge."

"Through the barrier?" Rhoz asked. "You have not made enough amulets for that!"

"We will make a breach."

"That is too risky."

"Not if we win," Utor said with fire in his eye. "And we will win! Then we will erect a new barrier cutting Halgrim off from the Northern lands. And then--"

Rhoz moaned.

"What is it?" Utor asked.

"Another cramp," Rhoz said between clenched teeth, "more painful than before. Do you have anything to help?"

"Indeed I do. But you must stay in bed."

See how much trouble you visit on me? Rhoz scolded her unborn child as she lay in her bed, trying to doze between contractions as she hoped against hope that Utor's potion would be effective. We are going to have a great battle soon, and I will miss everything.

She wished Alyx were at her side to comfort her, but he was busy with Great Chapter, as was Alyn. If only there were something she could do to help!

The next cramp brought her back to more immediate concerns. What if this was true labour after all? Even after Utor's many lectures and her attendance at Eveline's labour, she felt woefully unprepared. She tried to breathe slowly and evenly as Utor had taught her, but the fear that gripped her throat made it well-nigh impossible.

Rhoz was rubbing her stomach, trying to coax the muscles to relax, when someone knocked at the door.

"Come!" Rhoz called, struggling to keep her voice even.

The door opened, revealing a woman who stepped decisively across the room, dragged a comfortable chair to the bedside, and flopped into it with a grunt.

"Mother!" Rhoz said, torn between relief and apprehension. "What brings you here?"

Inteza took her hand. "Where else would I be, when the mother of my first grandchild has need of me?"

"The mother of your first grandchild," Rhoz murmured. "I have never thought of myself like that." She breathed in the soothing essence of sandalwood and violets. Inteza had gone to the trouble of anointing herself with aromatic oils -- a promising sign of returning spirits.