Chapter 49 - The Mother of Nations

"It has begun," Kaia announced.

Rhoz felt the blood drain from her face and held Ghiraxen more tightly. She had put on a hopeful face when she kissed Alyx good-bye the day before, but she had slept very little.

"Have they destroyed the barrier?" she asked, surprised that her voice could sound so calm.

"So far, they have only breached it, not far from the road. The dragon was waiting for them."

"Let us to the Great Hall, then, and make the announcement." Before he left, the High Duidd had set up altars to the Avatar and the Azure Dragon, and all who still remained in Draklunys visited often to pray, as well as pouring out their anxieties to the Stone of Sorrows in the courtyard. All the fighting men had gone, as well as many of the women, who would tend their needs in the field. Were it not for the presence of the children to liven its hallways, Draklunys would have seemed a fortress of ghosts.

The Great Hall was lit by a great bank of ceremonial candles. Ocalle was leading the congregation gathered there in a rune chant.

DJIRI OHAR shelter and shield

EELOR TIR steadfastness and strength

EKKE FAN talons of retribution

When the chant ended, all eyes turned hopefully to Rhoz, as if she had some divine power to save them.

They really do believe I am the Mother of Nations, she thought. And I dare not question it, or they will lose faith.

"The battle has begun," she said. "Let us continue our prayers, that the Avatar may grant us a speedy victory."

"Does the dragon fight with us?" a solitary voice asked.

"He does," Rhoz said. "And so do the birds of the air. The Queen of the Birds has gathered her armies from the four winds."

"The spirits of the rivers and trees have taken up arms to defend their land," Kaia added. "Even the beasts of the field will resist the enemy's advance."

This was the first Rhoz had heard of any such participation, and she was hard pressed to hide her skepticism. True or not, the news elicited cries of praise. The chanting resumed with renewed enthusiasm. Rhoz joined in while her son nursed and fell asleep, marvelling at Kaia's serenity. Her magical forces had been sorely depleted, and the continued strain of maintaining her simulacrum might well cost her years of her life; but she showed no sign of worry. Whatever the faults of the warrior-mages of Helion, the formidable discipline instilled by their training kept them ever focused on the task at hand. Rhoz wished that she could impose such iron control on her own turbulent emotions, which constantly threatened to overwhelm her. Leaving Kaia to continue passing on her simulacrum's experiences, she headed to the children's hall, hoping to distract herself from the terrible fear that gripped her heart.

Martenn, short-handed as she was, was continuing her work with the children as usual, using the older ones as assistants. Rhoz noted with satisfaction that Donn had appointed himself Martenn's right hand, and was doing everything he could to be helpful. Alyx had declined to tell her what had passed between them in private, but it had evidently hit the mark.

Inteza was organizing a group of children to accompany her to the Great Hall for a time of prayer. "The gods of Dys are foreign to us," she told Rhoz, "but surely they will hear the voices of children."

"I have no doubt of it," Rhoz murmured, holding up Ghiraxen for his grandmother to kiss. She continued on to the nursery room where Eveline was tending a dozen infants with the help of Zegara and a young woman Rhoz had never seen before.