Mission Archives: LDS-ESP-152

The girl with the ocean in her eyes stood in front of the creature she had slain, the black droplets on her blades evaporating with a hot sizzle. The creature - a large worm-like thing - gave a final, piercing whimper before it followed the same fate, dark, pungent vapors rising to the sky. 

The girl sighed as she sheathed her knife. Today had been a long day, and her arms hurt from the strain of overuse, as they always did when she used too much of her soul energy. 

She hadn't expected so much to happen already, on the first day of her mission. Usually, they were much slower and she'd be with her teammates fighting some removed evils. She's always have someone to fall back on. But this time she was going solo, and Del's prophecy said a lot of stakes were riding her shoulders. 

 Her mind flashed back to when her supervisor had given her the task. That old fart had handed her the case files with the same old stern look on his face, frown lines permanently etched on his wrinkled skin. 

"You'll be going to a rural high school to scout out a potential recruit." He had croaked out. 

The girl was dumfounded. 

"But we never go to get recruits - they usually find this place on their own."

"We also don't usually loose Kuzlo Crystals, but you managed to do that all on your own."

The girl sucked in a sharp breath. This again. How long was she going to be punished for a small accident?

Professor Cratlon glared at her as if he read her mind. 

"Right now, an entire town is in heightened danger. And it's not just any Kuzlo. It's yours, which means a lot more soul energy. This is is your responsibility." 

The girl shifted her eyes downwards, guilt flashing across her face. 

"I'll do my best, sir"

"Good. Read over this file. You'll be starting first thing tomorrow."

As she felt the smooth manilla under her fingertips, she felt a shudder coming on. Infiltrating the school was easy - that wasn't what she was worried about. But finding who was the leak? That would be another task entirely - like finding a needle within a haystack. 

She'd have to sort through all the 400 hundred students one by one. 

As she headed back to her dingy hotel in the rural outskirts of a sleepy town, the girl knew she'd have a long night ahead of her.