VIII.

"Don't mind me. I'm just snapping away." Ruby was all smiles taking Diane and Michael 's picture while they were dancing.

"Look at her! It's as if she did not go to a prom." Michael laughed but he noticed that Diane was just staring at him closely. "What you still can't believe you won the Prom Queen? Paula was really furious." He joked as he tried to look for Paula in the crowd. He did not notice that Diane was close to tears.

"Well you can tell her, she can have you now. I'm leaving." Diane pulled away from Michael and before he can stop her, she ran away from the dance floor then out the cafeteria.

"What did you do? I just turned around and the next minute you let go of your Prom queen?" Ruby asked with and accusing look at Michael.

"I didn't do anything!" Michael reasoned out as they both ran out of the cafeteria to search for Diane. They found Diane near the bicycle parking area and Ryan was just leaving then.

"Hey, Diane! Did Michael piss you off?! He is lucky you are his Prom queen!" Ruby called out but she was not ready as Diane turned to her with an angry look and tears running down her cheeks.

"You know what, Ruby? Just quit it! Just stop pushing me to him. Nothing's happening!" Diane cried as Michael reached them. Ruby pulled Diane in an embrace as she felt sorry Diane was feeling that way. "I can't go on like this, Ruby. It is just so hard for me." Diane sobbed as her tears wet Ruby's shoulders but then she pulled away from Ruby harshly. Ruby almost fell on the ground but Michael caught her back.

"Hey, what's wrong with you!" Michael shouted back at Diane who was looking at him with tearful eyes and then ran out of the school ground to the main road.

"No, Diane, wait!" Ruby called out as she breaks loose from Michael.

"Stay away from me!" Diane yelled as she ran out the school grounds but Ruby was already behind her.

"Look, I'm sorry. Can we just go back, please?" Ruby held Diane's arms but she kept on walking on the sidewalk.

"I'm sorry if I yelled at you. I'm just so tired, Ruby. I keep trying to be the best friend like you had with him but he just won't see me that way. And I love him more than a friend." Diane finally broke down as she stood facing Ruby on the sidewalk.

"Please, Diane. I know I am to blame. Ca we just go back? I'll drive you home." Ruby said as she hugged Diane and she felt uneasy as they are standing on the dark side of the road. Ruby felt Diane nod her head as they break apart. As they walk along, there was suddenly a speeding truck coming on their side of the road and they were blinded by the head light. Diane felt Ruby pushing her away from her and then she heard a loud crash. She called out to Ruby before she was thrown on the side of the road and then it went dark.

AS Diane opened her eyes slowly, she saw her Mom on her bedside and she looked at her worried eyes.

"Mom? Where's Ruby? She was with me..." She asked with a weak voice and then it came to her, she cannot feel or move her legs.

"Oh, dear. Just get some rest. You'll be fine." Lizbeth assured her daughter as she touches her daughter's cheeks.

Diane felt her eyes getting tired again as she saw her father on the door talking to Michael who was in tears.

"Mom, I can't move my legs. I can't feel them. Where is Ruby? Why is Michael crying?" Diane asked in a whisper but she was finally closed her eyes and drifted to sleep. Lizbeth turned to her husband who had just finished talking to Michael.

"John, it's happening as the doctor said. Diane cannot feel her legs." Lizbeth sobbed as her husband approached her.

"Ruby didn't make it." John told his wife as they watched Michael took a glimpse of Diane sleeping and then left the room. John held his wife as they looked over Diane who is now sleeping soundly.