|| CHAPTER 3 ||

~Mewar~

~Mewar~

Candle light reflected over the lifeless face of Meera, as she lay on the floor with her eyelids shut tight and a palm over her chest. Her body turned blue in patches, indicating that poison had found way to her body somehow or the other.

Poison, for the second time.

"Baisa!? Baisa!" Anju placed her head on her lap, frantically caressing it while Sulekha began to sprinkle water on the unconscious damsel. "Baisa, what happened? Please open your eyes!"

"Hey! Som-someone go and request for assistance!"

"I-I, let me go and get a physician fast!" Sulekha immediately rushed out of the chamber, running down through the corridors. Two more joined her in the process, all of them scattering in different directions eventually.

The women who stayed back were helpless; what can they possibly do without any physician? They all began to simultaneously rub her feet and hands, hoping that she would respond but in vain.

No one from the palace had yet come hearing their shrieks for assistance. 

No one...

"Baisa, please! Open your eyes, Baisa!" Shivli burst out in tears, "If anything happens to you how will we forgive ourself!?"

"Baisa please try to wake up!" they were almost pleading in front of the unconscious figure, while trying their best to do everything possible to bring back her senses.

The children gazed at each other with tear-stricken face. Though they couldn't grasp what had occurred completely, they knew that their Meera Bai was in danger. While the women were drowning in agony and trying to revive her at the same time, the three girls frantically crept towards the idol of Lord Krishna.

"Gopal, Baisa says you always protect those who are good," one of them whispered in front of the idol with drooped eyebrows and folding her tiny palms. Copying her innocently, the the other two performed the same, "Yes Gopal, please save our Baisa!"

"Gopal, please we love our Baisa very much!" the girls gazed and exchanged glances, wiping their tear strained cheeks. The idol appeared still in the swing, which swung slightly because of the wind which rustled around the chamber.

"Bhagwan, bring back Baisa Bhagwan!"

"Please bring back our Baisa!" the children collectively closed their eyes and began praying.