Let Her Go

Caroline and Grace are talking in a privet room.
"You remember that humanity switch pact."
"Yeah why?"
"If anything goes wrong at all today. I want to go through with it."
"Okay Caroline when."
"After the funeral, we go home early and just shut it off."
"Okay deal."

"You've all asked what you can do to help. There are five day's worth of projects on here. We are going to do them in one. We can break the rules and cut through the red tape. I expect my mom to be properly celebrated and buried by the end of the day."
"Sure, Care. Whatever you need."
Grace, Tyler and Stefan nod.
"Elena, Grace, you're coming with me."
"Where are we going?"
"Casket shopping. Let's move!"

Grace, Caroline and Elena walk through the front door.
"You drive. I sent my car to Jeremy."
"Jeremy! I forgot to put him on my list of people to call."
"It's okay. I called him."

"Your mother was such a vibrant woman. Even after your father ran off with that man."
"(rushes in) Thank you, Ms. McGruder. I'm sure we'll see you at the funeral. (quickly leads Caroline and Grace away.) Well, welcome to the world of awkward sympathies. That's why you have to be prepared with your responses. I recommend at least three."
"I don't know how you survived this."
"Your responses will be different for each category of people in your life: friends of circumstance, casual acquaintances, loved ones."
"I kissed Stefan. I want to talk to him about it, but if it's bad, I feel like he won't be honest, you know, not today."
"Then talk to him about it tomorrow. You and Caroline already have a lot on your plate."
"I think I need to know today."
"We're behind schedule. Let's go."

Many people are walking for the funeral while Caroline and Grace are inside looking at Liz's dead body and Stefan walks in.
"Grace? Caroline? Doing alright?"
Caroline nods at him.
"Yeah. Fine. All things... considered."
"(walks over) Sure you're doing okay?"
"Mm-hmm. Yeah. No. I don't know. Just now, I was supposed to put you into a category so I would know what to say to you, but then I realized I didn't know what category you would want to be put in. So, uh, I was thinking, 'I guess there's no time like the horribly inappropriate present to get to the bottom of that.' (pause) I could list the categories if you like."
"Grace, I, um... I-I want to talk to you about all this. I do, but, maybe when we're alone and you've had a chance to get through the day."
"Yeah. God, of course. Um, this is not the time. I'm so sorry."
"Hey, hey. (hugs Grace) Don't be sorry. (lets her go) We'll talk when all this is over. (leaves the room)"
Caroline adjusts her mom's badge and starts crying. Elena walks in.
"Hey Grace, Care. They're ready. Do you need a minute?"
Grace shakes her head.
"No, I'm okay. (looks at her mom's body) I'm gonna be alright, mom. I promise. Everything will be fine after today. (looks up) I'm ready."

"We are here today to pay our tribute and our respect to a pillar of our community, our sister, our protector, Sheriff Elizabeth Forbes. We are also here today to show our love and support for Liz's family and friends."
The pastor's words fade as Elena reaches out to Caroline's hand. Who also reaches for Grace Police force members walk up to honor Sheriff Forbes. They place an American flag over her casket.
"Calling Sheriff Forbes. This is the last call for Sheriff Forbes. (Matt leans forward as if getting an idea) No response. Radio Number 2-6 is out of service after twelve years and four months of police service. Gone, but never forgotten. Center!"
The officers return to their seats and Damon walks up for the eulogy.
"Liz Forbes was my friend. In her last moments, she asked me to pass along a message to her daughter, but I cut her off before she could say too much. I told her she could tell Caroline herself, but she didn't get that chance. Your mom wanted you to know how proud of you she was, and she should be. You're a beautiful, strong woman, a generous friend, and a bright light in a sea of dark. She said you were extraordinary, and you are, and so was she. Liz was a hero to this town. She was a hero to all of you. And she was a hero to me. Goodbye, Sheriff. You will be missed."
Damon returns to his seat and Caroline walks up.
"Thank you all for coming. This is for my mom. ♪Go in peace. Go in kindness. Go in love. Go in faith. Leave the day. The day behind us. The day is done. Go in grace. Let us go into the dark. Not afraid. Not alone. Let us hope by some good pleasure. Safely to. Arrive at home.♪"

At the front of the grill, Caroline and Grace get ready to leave.
"Hey, are you leaving?"
"Yeah. I think I've done the whole funeral thing enough for one day."
"I'll walk you home."
"No, it's two blocks."
"We'll be fine, Elena."
"I just don't think it's a good idea for you two to be alone tonight, you know?"
"I think that's exactly what we need actually. (hugs Elena) Thank you for everything you did today, Elena. I'll never forget it."
"You're welcome. But-"
"I'll be fine, Elena. Okay? I just had to get through today."
Caroline and Grace leave.

Caroline and Grace walk through the door and places the flag on a table. Caroline takes her mom's sweater and puts it to her nose and puts it down. Grace notices Elena is behind them.
"I said I was fine, Elena."
"I don't believe you. (Caroline and Grace turn around.) All day, something has been bugging me. You wanted to pack this all in so quickly like you had somewhere you needed to be. I mean, you were so concerned with getting through today without a hint of how you'd feel tomorrow. And then I realized. You don't want to feel tomorrow. That's the plan, right? You're not going to feel tomorrow because you're going it turn it all off."
"I thought I could get through the rough patch and just pick myself up after like I usually do, but then Damon made me realize it's just going to get worse."
"You listened to Damon?"
"I can't do worse, Elena, okay? I didn't even think there was a worse. It's better this way."
"Better? Care, you're talking about flipping the humanity switch. There's nothing better about that."
"That is your experience, okay? I have more control over my vampire side than you ever did. My experience will be different."
"It's not gonna be different, Care. It's gonna be deadly. You saw what happened to me when I did it."
"Yeah, that's my point, Elena. You did it. You couldn't handle the pain when your brother died, so you turned it off. Damon died, and you erased all your memories."
"Stefan moved to Savannah and became an auto mechanic. What, do you think that you guys are the only ones who get to escape grief?"
"You just mentioned two of the biggest mistakes that I ever made."
"Were they mistakes? Because when you came out the other end, the worst part of the pain was gone, and that's what we need. We just need the pain to be gone."
"And if Stefan had said the right thing earlier, would that have changed your mind? (Grace looks shocked.) Yeah. I heard."
"Well, he didn't, so it really doesn't matter."
"(starts to cry) My mom is dead, Elena. I-It hurts so bad, I can't breathe. I can't-I can't do worse. I can't, okay? I shouldn't have to."
"No one should have to. It's not fair. It's not. I get it. I do. (Elena hugs Caroline.) And I know you think that you have it all figured out, but please listen to me. I'm not gonna let you do this."
Caroline breaks Elena's neck.
"(emotionless) That's not your choice to make."
Grace and Caroline turn it off.