4. A Losing Game

Rory doesn't come over the next night.

Dylan had suspected that might be the case, but when Saturday night comes, and he doesn't hear her cursing her way up his tree...he knows.

He doesn't know what happened after she got home. He doesn't know if she's okay. He doesn't know if he should reach out.

He lays in his bed, staring at the ceiling, unable to sleep. He thinks about her. Thinks about all the walls she's built around herself. Thinks about why she built them. Wonders if she'll ever tear them down.

His pillow still smells like her. Smells like the coconut shampoo she uses that he loves.

He won't ever tell, but he noticed that after he said he liked it one time...she always used it.

And now his pillow smells exactly like her, and he finds himself taking deep breaths as if wanting to fill his lungs entirely with her.

Around 2 a.m., he reaches for his phone. She gave him her number in case of emergencies, although they rarely ever use it.

Tonight, he wonders if this counts. If asking if she's okay is crossing a line.

He stares at her name for a good five minutes before sighing to himself and turning it off.

Then, he rolls over and falls asleep.

The next day, he decides that their time together has run its course. He knew that would happen eventually and he decides it's better to appreciate it for what it was...and move on.

So, he does.

He and his brother head to the skate park, thoughts of Rory not too far behind, but he pushes them away, nonetheless.

They skate for a few hours, and Dylan has to laugh every time his brother becomes swarmed with beautiful, young ladies (and a few men) all vying for his attention.

His brother has always had a reputation, and Dylan doesn't mind skating a few rounds himself, flipping his board, skating over the railing, and down the edge of the stairs to pass the time.

When golden hour hits, they reckon it's about time to head home. After all, Dylan's got next week's homework to do before it's even assigned, and who would he be if he didn't do it?

Dylan flips his board up into his hand before getting ready to follow his brother when something catches his eye.

A familiar car. A Mustang. Swinging into the parking lot as Dylan slows to a stop.

Rory.

And Ricky.

His eyebrows raise as he watches Ricky pull the top down on his car, moving to sit on the edge of the door as Rory does the same.

She's smiling at him, flipping her hair over her shoulder before she laughs loudly at something he says.

Dylan wants to stare, maybe even wants to be upset, but he can't be. He knew this was likely and he wants her to be happy more than anything.

If Ricky makes her happy, then good for him.

He sighs to himself before taking a step toward his brother as he notices Rory looking his way.

Once their eyes meet...something shifts.

Her face drops, her eyes going wide, and she immediately lowers her head, looking away from him.

He smiles softly, realizing she must be embarrassed, and he wishes he could tell her not to be.

He'll be okay.