5

"I guess we could give it until Thanksgiving Break," He suggested, turning the chair around to look at me. "That gives us a month. If she doesn't want me back by then, what's the point." I nodded before starting to doodle in my notebook. There was a knock on the door and Steve got up to answer it. 

"I have to leave for my business trip now, so uh, behave I guess," A voice, I assumed was his dad said. 

"Yea, cya." Steve closed the door before going back to his homework. "Will you check this?" He turned to me and I smiled. 

"Of course." He handed it to me and I checked the problems. I looked up at him as he was playing with the frayed hem of his shirt. "They look good." I handed him his notebook before looking at his watch. 

"Don't go yet, please," He begged and I smiled. 

"I won't." Steve got up and grabbed my hand and led me downstairs into the kitchen. I sat at the counter as he began making food. "You are like actually making mac and cheese from scratch?" I asked completely shocked he knows how to cook. 

"Don't have any faith in me, do you?" He asked as he got all of the ingredients out. I watched in awe as he made everything. He turned to me as I zoned out watching him. "Why don't you go pick out a movie in the living room and I can bring you some food?" He asked and I nodded my head. 

"Where are they?" I asked. 

"There is a giant shelf full of movies, just go ahead and pick anything." He was smiling at me and I walked into the living room. He wasn't lying. There was a giant shelf full of movies, double my size. I looked through everything before picking out the perfect movie. I put it in before sitting on the couch. Previews played as Steve came into the room with two bowls in his hands. "Be very careful, it's hot." I took the bowls from him, setting them on the coffee table as he walked back to the kitchen. "Do you want something to drink? I have beer, wine, water, Yahoo... I'm sure there is soda or something too." 

"Water is fine." He left the room as the movie began. "Hurry up!" He came back in holding my water and a beer for himself. He grabbed a blanket and threw it over me as we began eating and watching the movie. 

"Did you really pick Grease out of all of the movies?" He asked turning to me with a big, goofy smile. 

"Well, I had to. We have to prepare for tomorrow." 

"Wow, is Halloween really tomorrow?" He asked as he finished his bowl. I nodded my head before looking back at the tv. Out of nowhere, the doorbell rang, which made me jump slightly. How could dad know where I really am? Steve got up before looking back at me. "I'll be right back." He walked to answer the door and I noticed who was on the other side. Nancy. She looked upset and Steve looked back at me before stepping out with her. I slumped down onto the couch as I continued watching the movie, hoping this wouldn't be the end of our, whatever this was. Other than Robin and Max, I was practically all alone. No one understands what it is like, but Steve seems to get it. He doesn't want to be alone either. The sound of the door opening broke me out of thought and I turned to see Steve coming back. 

"What was that about?" I asked as he sat down next to me, closer than before. 

"It was just Nancy." He said, slinging his arm around my shoulder. 

"What did she want?" I looked up at him. 

"It's not important." He turned back up to the tv and I couldn't help but wonder what he was hiding from me. I scooted over a little bit and he scooted closer. We kept doing this until there was nowhere for me to go. "What's wrong?" He asked tilting my head to him. 

"I thought we were in this fake relationship together. What did Nancy have to say? Are we breaking up?" 

"Elizabeth, it was nothing. She just came over and I told her I was with you so she left."