Chapter Eighteen: Rachel, Wednesday

After Johnny left to go after Val and Lauren, Rachel, Al, Sunny and Tej were left with the object of Val's fury.

"What's her problem?" Joanie asked, still a little shell-shocked.

"I think we just experienced a perfect example of transference," Sunny said. "She was already angry at Johnny; everyone could tell that just from how she acted toward him during the funeral, and she just confirmed it. But because she saw you as the instigator of a series of events that led to her situation, she took that anger at Johnny, which wasn't making much of a difference, and directed it at you. It's not rational, but it might make her feel better."

"She wouldn't have felt better with my fist in her face," Joanie grumbled. "I didn't make Johnny do anything."

Sunny nodded. "Again, I didn't say it was rational. The poor woman's marriage is crumbling, and she's lashing out."

"Maybe you should give her your card, Sunny," Tej said.

"Or," Al said, "they could try counselling like Joe and Lauren did."

"I feel like I can't even leave this room," Joanie said. "At least not until Joe and Lauren come back."

"We'll keep you company," Rachel said. "I don't really feel like mingling with the other guests either. My mother's out there, for one thing. That's the second time I've seen her wear that stupid veil at a funeral."

"I noticed it too," Sunny said. "It's like she's acting the part of a mourner."

"I know! You all know she and Mr. DiTomaso didn't get along, right? When we were living in Queensborough, she called Revenue Canada on him for not claiming the income from his family's sale of beans every summer. But, what do you know, I happen to mention while on the phone with her that he passed away, and she wants to know when the funeral is."

"You know, my mom was the same way with Mrs. Anderson," Al said. "They were polite to each other but not that close, and yet as soon as she heard about the memorial she wanted to go. It's like they need to go to these things and say to themselves, 'Hooray, I'm still standing.'"

They all chuckled awkwardly at this, because it seemed callous but was also very apt.

"You were brave for coming today," Sunny said to Joanie.

Joanie shrugged. "I wanted to support Joe and Lauren."

"Lauren too?" Tej said. "Forgive me, but maybe I'm not in tune with the nuances of your arrangement."

"Lauren and I like each other a lot," Joanie said heatedly. "I encouraged Joe to reconcile with her as soon as he could, to move back home as soon as I was able to move around without help. Lauren was generous enough to share him with me, and we've been through a lot together. The last thing I want to do is split them up."

Tej seemed taken aback by the forcefulness of Joanie's reply. "Fair enough."

"So, have you started doing detective work?" Sunny asked to change the subject and save his wife.

Joanie nodded. "Working out of the Surrey detachment is different from working in Langley. It's much bigger, for one thing. Being a trainee, I float from case to case doing whatever the detectives in charge ask me to do, mainly interviewing witnesses, door to door canvassing, that type of thing. I rarely get the chance to examine the scene, but the more experience I get, the closer I'll get to that day."

"Are you still a media relations officer?" Al asked.

She shook her head. "No, thank goodness. Detectives don't usually talk to the media unless they put out specific requests for witnesses, and that usually falls on the detective in charge of the investigation."