0

The heavy door shuts behind Caroline, the chain swinging rhythmically, the only sound in the empty apartment. She steps out of her shoes and falls onto the bed with a huff.

It's later that night when Caroline realizes just how much her life has crumbled. The lights in her small cramped apartment flicker, reminding her that she has no money to keep the lights on. The constant smell of rotting garbage outside, the empty fridge, and the rats scurrying in the walls all make her lie awake at night wondering, "What went wrong?"

Torn magazine pages, greasy napkins, dirty clothes, plastic bags, and unread bills she hasn't allowed herself to look at, are littered all over her floors. Casper Mason on the cover of Us Weekly is torn in half. Each half laying on opposite sides of the room. His eyes were piercing and full of confidence. You can almost see the privilege running through his veins. 'LA's Most Eligible Bachelor' rests five feet away.

It fills her with rage, she doesn't deserve this, she should be living in luxury but, instead, she's living in squalor. Fury forces her to sit up, all she can think about is how she's going to fix this, to take what's hers, to tell life you aren't afraid of the consequences because you deserve more.

She gets up abruptly and calls the one person she knows is up for anything.

                            ///

Sidrah doesn't pick up right away; it's three a.m and Caroline nervously walks the perimeter of her small apartment.

"Pick up, pick up, pick up," she mumbles anxiously.

"Hey, what's up?" Sidrah answers.

Caroline releases a breath of air. Thank God.

"I have a plan," Caroline says, kicking Casper's eyes, "we're going to rob Casper Mason."

——