4. 𝚠𝚑𝚊𝚝 𝚢𝚘𝚞 𝚘𝚗𝚌𝚎 𝚠𝚎𝚛𝚎

𖡼

𖡼.𖤣𖥧𖡼.𖤣𖥧

Tilly loved summer, the idea of leaving the damned school and coming home was her favourite feeling. Although her home life left much to be desired, it was much better than moping around those dim halls and enduring the worst people on earth. She used to love the soft sounds of birds in the trees and the chirping of cicadas at night. The beaming sun would warm her skin so gently and gift her a constellation of freckles on her face as she lay in her backyard reading whatever Narnia book she could get her hands on.

However now she almost resented the bright season, the sun now meant a harder trek and sweat ridding your body of its much-needed hydration. Now summer meant tiring hikes to shelter and blistering feet on the hot road. What she once bathed in became a sort of challenge to overcome, something in her way as almost everything was these days.

The back of Tilly's neck was soaked with sweat, the lack of hair tie meaning her head soaked up any light shining on it and blanketed her burnt skin. As she walked along following Gabriel at a quickened pace, she wiped her hand over her neck and scrunched her face at how soaked it was. She questioned Gabriel's attire as he babbled on enthusiastically, how could he be wearing an all-black suit in heat like this; just the thought of it made her more exhausted.

She finally lifted her head at the slowing of the group, seeing a clearing right in front of her with a sturdy white building placed in the middle of it. Looking around at her surroundings, she took in the serene picture. She held her weapon tighter as the church sign came into view, 'St. Sarah's Church' it read. The wood of the small building was slowly browning yet in a world like she was in, Tilly was quite surprised at how well it had survived all this time. Despite her reluctance to religion, she found a sort of peace in such an isolated place of spiritual sanctuary.

The group spread out in the small opening of the church, Tyreese passing Judith over to Carl as he and others spread to take cover. Gabriel stood idly at the door as he went to open it.

"Can we take a look around first? We just want to hold onto our squirrels " Rick asked as he scanned the area, keeping any and all sorts of caution he could. He walked up to the priest and held out a hand for the keys as the strong Michone followed him.

Tilly watched as Rick, Michone, Carol and Glenn disappeared into the darkness of the Church, weapons drawn and eyes alert. Tilly tilted her head as she tried to get a better look at the inside.

"You plannin' on using that bus out back?" Abraham spoke up as he rounded the corner, Gabriel looked quite nervous under the stare of the brute redhead. He gulped and smiled with a sigh.

"It doesn't work but you're welcome to it." he clasped his hands together and chuckled once more "where have I got to go?"

"What do you need a bus for?" Tilly spoke up after the awkward silence of Gabriel's attempt at humour. They had shelter, they had somewhere safe to be, why go back on the road?. The group looked around at each other, suddenly aware that Tilly was not with them when all was revealed. Abraham looked to the man with the shaggy mullet and back to the small girl with a smug grin.