5. 𝚌𝚛𝚒𝚖𝚜𝚘𝚗 𝚜𝚝𝚊𝚒𝚗𝚎𝚍 𝚌𝚕𝚞𝚝𝚌𝚑𝚎𝚜

𖡼

𖡼.𖤣𖥧𖡼.𖤣𖥧

Tilly could only remember a few of her family dinners, at least those ones where the time eating wasn't spent in complete silence. It was Christmas and she was five, before her parents sent her away and back when they actually bothered to utter more than a few sentences to her.

She remembered the deep red velvet dress she wore and how she sat in her grandfather's lap when she slept. That was the year she refused to eat anything other than mashed potatoes and peas for Christmas dinner, at the time her parents thought it was funny yet, later on, scorned her for her behaviour.

As she scooped up the pile of cold peas from her plate, she was so woefully reminded of the times before. That's all she ever really thought about these days, what could have been if the world had not fallen into an abyss. She looked around and studied the smiling faces of the loud group, it reminded her of holidays, the good ones.

The soft candlelight mimicked the warm fireplace of yuletide, all they were missing was the dulcet tones of her Grandmother's Christmas album that played along to the fire crackling.

Although she could never go back to those sweet memories, even if the end of the world was never to occur, she couldn't help but feel a smile etched on her face at the thought of spending such an intimate family occasion with the people in front of her. Yet she only wished Teddy was here to see it.

"I'd like to propose a toast!" Abraham shouted from his standing position, everyone else took seats on the floor so they were all facing one another, adults with glasses of wine and Judith sitting pleasantly in Rick's lap. Carl served himself whatever delicious mush the group had scraped out of cans and took a seat next to Tilly without hesitation. Tilly looked at the boy as he idly scooped food into his mouth and offered him a kind smile.

"I look around this room.... And I see survivors. Each and every one of you has earned that title." he looked at the faces of the people he was surrounded with and chuckled in serenity. "To the survivors," he said as he lifted his drink.

"Survivors!" Tilly muttered along with the same chime as everyone else whilst raising her water bottle, carl beside her did the exact same as he angled his bottle towards her, she smiled and tapped her bottle against him in celebration and took a small sip before returning to her festive peas.

"Is that all you want to be?". Wake up in the morning, fight the undead pricks, forage for food, go to sleep at night with two eyes open, rinse and repeat?" he began again, the room fell to silence as they all caught on to where he was leading this impromptu speech.

Tilly noticed the routine as something all too familiar in her life, she had often wondered the same, if it was all worth it if she was stuck in the endless cycle of bare survival.

"Cause you can do that, I mean, you've got the strength. You got the skill. Thing is, for you people, for what you can do, that's just surrender. Now we get Eugene to Washington, he will make the dead die and the living will have this world again, and that is not a bad takeaway for a little road trip. Eugene, what's in DC?" Abraham went on, his determination to have the group go with him continuous and strong.