Chapter 13

"Carter?"

Wearing a baby blue nightgown with a black sleeping mask resting on her brown pixie-cut hair, a Latina woman answered her door, seeing a smiling Agent Carter leaning on the side with one arm.

"Here I am baby!" He looked her up and down, enjoying the view. "Signed, sealed, delivered!"

Standing right behind him, Lee peeked his head out and waved at Carter's old coworker. "Hi."

"Oh and you brought your friend with you, great," Tania answered unenthusiastically. "Is this some kind of reunion or something?"

Carter smoothed his sideburns with his hands. "I know you missed me, Johnson. I can see it in your deep, dark, sparkling eyes."

She kept glaring at him, too used to his antics and cheesy one-liners. "You have exactly three seconds before I slam this door in your face."

"I only need two to make you fall in love with me all over again, baby," he wiggled his eyebrows.

"Too late, time's up."

"No, wait!" Lee reached over to stop Tania from closing her front door. "It's important, the Triads are planning something new."

"Impossible," she told him, ignoring Carter who was practically slobbering over her at this point. "Ever since you idiots somehow found Shy Shen back in Paris, we've been keeping a close eye on all of the Triad's activities and nothing's on our radar that we don't already know."

Lee was surprised to hear that Tania knew about their victorious mission in Paris, but then again, they made headlines practically everywhere around the world. At first, they thought Shy Shen was this almost mythical Chinese mob mastermind, but they soon found out that it was a list of all the important Triad leaders, used to keep track of and pick out new leaders.

Horrifically, that list had been tattooed on the back of a French performer's head, that way they could decapitate her if she ever turned. Luckily, Geneviève had been on their side and Lee and Carter were able to turn her to the World Criminal Court.

While their efforts were nothing short of heroic, Lee still had to grapple with the death of his foster brother Kenji, who'd been part of the Triad himself. Lee had wished for him to change his ways and for them to rekindle their relationship, as they were best of friends when they children.

But Kenji's story ended in suicide, something that caused everyone pain but himself. Whether intentional on his part or not, Kenji would now always remain a source of deep hurt for Lee.

"But this isn't about Shy Shen," Lee shook his head as if he wanted to shake away his thoughts. "We think there might be rebels planning a takeover."

"Yeah, hold on for just a sec," Carter pushed him away. "First off, the people you're calling idiots managed to save the world twice! That's right, not once, but two times, girl! And what's with all this "we" talk? I thought you left the LAPD?"

"I did," Tania smirked. "I've been working for the FBI for the past eight years now, a few years after we saved Consul Han's daughter."

Her words quickly got under Carter's skin. "What? How are you gonna side with them after they made a fool out of me? Thinking they could just trick me then offer me a job like it was nothing..."

Happy to see him so upset, Tania leaned towards him and teasingly booped his nose. "Well, they made an agent out of me and the pay is great, so it was a no brainer, really."

"Hey!" A voice interrupted from the distance.

The three of them all turned around to see Han and Trish waiting outside the car, most likely wanting some time away from Maurice and his never-ending chattiness.

" Can we come in already?" Trish yelled at them from afar. "My legs are getting tired!"

"Who the hell are those kids?" Tania asked, squinting. "Are they part of the Triad?"

Lee briefly laughed nervously. "Not exactly, but they have most of the answers. The girl is the daughter of a local mobster and the guy's dad was in the Triad."

"And they're smashing," Carter slyly added, inching closer to Tania. "Makes me wonder sometimes why we haven't-"

"If I let you all in, will you promise to shut up?" She immediately cut him off.

Carter's smiled widened. "Who can say no to a fine thang like you, Johnson?"

▄▄▄