Flyin' and Fallin'

He's even got a fuckin' crew, Betty observed as she entered the helicarrier with Fury and Hill, amazed yet again at the resources that the former SH.I.E.L.D. Director could command despite the organisation's fall. The helicarrier was old, some of the parts a little lacklustre, but even she could tell that it was still well-maintained.

"It's times like these that I'm thankful we made the decision to add lifeboats to this bird," Fury mused, surveying the open bays where the new additions were docked.

"They, umm, look...great!" Betty said through gritted teeth as she eyed the rundown lifeboats suspiciously.

"They might look old but they're solid as a rock," one of the technicians grinned, walking up to them. "Sir, we're ready for you on the bridge," he continued, addressing Fury directly.

"Lead the way then, Klein," Fury commanded, and the three of them followed Klein onto the carrier and up to the bridge.

Fury located himself front and centre, in his usual at ease stance, not moving an inch, but Betty's eyes kept being drawn to Maria Hill, who stalked up and down the command deck, looking at a screen here, talking to an agent there, no piece of data or intel was missed. She gathered everything, processing it all, and Betty couldn't help but feel awestruck and a little intimidated. Maria came over and crouched down next to Betty as her screens came online.

"So, these will show live feeds from security cameras in Novi Grad," Hill explained.

"That's the capital of Sokovia, right?" Betty asked, and Hill nodded her confirmation.

"We need you watching these, letting us know how the evacuation of the city is going, and whether there are any outstanding pockets of civilians," Hill continued. "Or any possible threats."

"I can do that," Betty said, "but wouldn't I be better use..."

"On the ground?" Fury interrupted. "Not yet. I have a feeling we're going to need your medical abilities. I'd rather wait and see what we're up against first."

"Understood," Betty nodded, eyes already trained back on the monitors.

Betty stared at the screens in front of her trying her best not to feel overwhelmed. There was nothing showing on them yet, just a green-tinged snowstorm with the ghost of the windows behind them showing through the semi-transparent glass. A crackle of static sounded over the comms device in her ear and an electronic voice confirmed communication systems online.

"Everything else is ready Sir," Maria Hill stated, looking over to Fury who was surveying the flight deck with a sombre expression, hands clasped behind his back in the ingrained stance of a soldier at ease.

"Then let's get this bird in the air," he commanded.

She felt vibrations begin to hum through the floor of the flightdeck and a crack of light appeared in the view through the window, quickly widening as the roof of the colossal hangar began to retract. The vibrations rose in intensity as the enormous turbines that drove the helicarrier kicked into gear and the aircraft started to rise. It was smoother than Betty had expected and didn't make her stomach lurch like the quinjets did.

Over the next four hours Betty did as she was tasked, surveying the screens, relaying information to Hill.

"Evacuation is goin' as smooth as it could, given the circumstances," Betty reported. "That girl in the red, is that..."

"Wanda Maximoff," Hill confirmed.

"I thought she was one of the bad guys?"

"Looks like she's changed her mind," Fury mused. "That means we've got her brother on board too. Keep an eye on them, just in case, but this might be what we need to tip the balance."