Prologue

Prologue

THE WINDOWS BANGED loudly, randomly, as a strong gale howled and left behind a cold ominous feeling around the house, followed by a loud baby wail. The room, just glowing in the early morning rays, was no longer calm with the increasing intensity of the baby's cries. It looked like nature was demanding the attention of the people inside, banging the windows more forcefully. A tiny infant laid in its crib and seemed more scared with the unpleasant sounds.

The room's door opened hurriedly, and an older woman in her late forties walked inside. Sharadha Sinha.

Seeing her crying granddaughter, Sharadha immediately reached to her, saying, "Aisha! You woke up already." Sharadha cradled her and whispered soft endearments lovingly while caressing her tiny back. When her cries had just gotten worse, Sharadha worried.

Her eyes cast outside the window while trying to calm her granddaughter. A sense of doom engulfed her as she noticed the misty sky and the sudden change in the atmosphere. She closed the windows with her free hand and walked outside the room carrying the still crying Aisha.

"Anjali," Sharadha called loudly to her twenty-year-old youngest daughter. When she heard no response, she called once again louder.

She was starting to get annoyed. Just then, her daughter came out of her room running.

"Mom! What happened?" Anjali asked. She smiled when her eyes landed on her niece, Aisha. "Awe! Why is my baby crying? Did she miss her Anjali Bua?" Anjali asked while taking the tiny infant in her arms.

Sharadha released a sigh of relief as Aisha seemed to calm down a bit. However, little sobs escaped out of her mouth now and then. "Did Rahul call?" Sharadha asked.

Anjali looked at her mother. "No, mom," she replied while jiggling Aisha in her arms.

Sharadha frowned and glanced at the wall clock hanging next to the room, from where she carried out Aisha.

8:00 A.M. It said.

It has been too long since they left, she thought.

"Where is your father?" Sharadha asked.

Anjali just shrugged in response. Sharadha held her head as she felt a slight headache.

"You guys don't come for a single work," Sharadha muttered angrily, making her daughter pout.

Sharadha rolled her eyes and asked, "At least did you get your brother's room ready?"

"Of course, Mom," Anjali said and squealed suddenly in excitement, "He'll love it."

Sharadha chuckled, forgetting her anger for a second. "Sure he will. No one can give names to my daughter's work," she said, keeping a hand on Anjali's head. "Ok. I am going to look for your father. You keep an eye on Aisha. Careful."

"Uff! Mom. I will," Anjali said, offended, and retreated back to her bedroom, taking Aisha.

Sharadha shook her head at her daughter and went to look for her husband. Inwardly, she cursed when she found him in front of the television in the living room.

"Forbid God," she muttered, stomping towards her husband. Shekhar Sinha. He was deeply involved in the business news channel that he didn't realize his wife was standing next to him.

Sharadha looked at him and then the TV show angrily. How did she even marry this man? She wondered, like so many times. She waved her hand in front of his eyes. In return, her beloved husband swatted her hand absentmindedly.

"Very good," Sharadha said sarcastically. That caught his attention.

Shekhar snapped his head in his wife's direction and gave an expression caught red-handed. He laughed hysterically, scratching his neck.