twenty-four.

Foreign Wars
chapter twenty-four.

Foreign Warschapter twenty-four

❨ 𝐜𝐥𝐚𝐫𝐲'𝐬 𝐚𝐥𝐢𝐯𝐞 ❩

❈ ──────────── ❈ 

𝐇𝐎𝐖 𝐌𝐀𝐍𝐘 𝐓𝐇𝐈𝐍𝐆𝐒 𝐂𝐀𝐍 𝐎𝐍𝐄 𝐏𝐄𝐑𝐒𝐎𝐍 𝐏𝐋𝐀𝐍 𝐈𝐍𝐓𝐎 𝐀 𝐃𝐀𝐘?

Even being behind schedule, Magnus still managed to fit plenty of little dates into their day. The art gallery, the souvlaki truck — which was delicious, of course. Now, they were walking through Chinatown — or rather, Magnus was power-walking and snapping all shorts of photos while Kai just tried to keep up.

"Magnus, can we just slow down for a second?" Kai asked as Magnus all but sprinted across the street between cars.

"Oh, certainly," Magnus responded, although he didn't stop moving. "I have a quick stop planned right before late night dim sum."

"No, I-I just mean, I mean right now," Kai reiterated, reaching out to grab Magnus' elbow to stop him in his tracks.

"I suppose you're right," Magnus mused. "It is rather exhausting hopping from place to place without portals. How do you mortals do it?" he asked, turning to snap a photo of a vendor on a bike as they rode by.

"We don't," Kai grunted, vaguely annoyed. He couldn't help it, he was tired, and Magnus had been rushing about all day, despite Kai's efforts to get him to slow it down. "This whole mortality thing is gonna take some...getting used to." He sighed as he hastily pulled Magnus onto the sidewalk before he was run over by another bicyclist.

He didn't mean to feel annoyed with his boyfriend. He understood why Magnus was acting like this, feeling in a hurry to do as many things as possible within their waking hours. But there was a limit to what one person could do, and Kai was sure he had reached that limit before they had souvlaki.

"Perhaps more than I realized," Magnus agreed somberly. "I've been lucky to live a life relatively free of FOMO. You can't blame me for wanting to make each moment count."

Kai's gaze softened as he half-smiled. "Of course not," he assured his boyfriend gently, resting his hand on Magnus' arm. "It's just...the thing about moments is that you'll miss them if you're always running after the next one." He shrugged, staring down into Magnus' eyes. "When I'm 90, I'm not gonna remember the trendy gallery or the amazing Greek food we had if we don't slow down...and savor moments like these..." He offered Magnus a loving smile. "...when I'm staring into the eyes of the man that I love."

Magnus smiled lovingly back at Kai. "Of course," he agreed. "Everything I need is right here in front of me." Kai gave him a cheeky grin. "Amazing, how a 20-something pup can teach an old dog new tricks," he teased.