four.

Foreign Wars
chapter four.

Foreign Warschapter four

❨ 𝐥𝐞𝐲 𝐥𝐢𝐧𝐞𝐬 ❩

❈ ──────────── ❈

𝐓𝐇𝐄 𝐅𝐎𝐔𝐑 𝐎𝐅 𝐓𝐇𝐄𝐌 𝐖𝐄𝐑𝐄 𝐀𝐓 𝐋𝐎𝐑𝐄𝐍𝐙𝐎'𝐒 𝐌𝐀𝐍𝐒𝐈𝐎𝐍 𝐁𝐘 𝐍𝐈𝐆𝐇𝐓𝐅𝐀𝐋𝐋. Alec was supposed to be the distraction while Magnus and Kai went inside. Leon was a look out. They couldn't risk Lorenzo seeing him, because Lorenzo still held a grunge after a sixteen-year-old Leon attacked him.

When Leon told him that story, Alec felt pride. And he even chuckled at it. It served Lorenzo right for making assumptions about a teenager whom he didn't even know.

Alec knocked on Lorenzo's door and crossed his arms behind his back. He had to keep his composure in front of Lorenzo, even if he was angry at the idea of Lorenzo being so awful to Leon once.

The door opened to reveal Lorenzo in the foyer with his arms crossed over his chest.

"Señor Alec Lightwood," Lorenzo mused, clearly surprised upon seeing the Head of the Institute. "I would've assumed Mr. Stormrose would show up, but I suppose you're here to defend Magnus Bane?"

"No. Actually, I'm here to defend you," Alec corrected him politely and business-like. "As the Head of the Institute, it's my job to keep you safe."

"What if I can prove that Magnus is involved?" Lorenzo questioned with judgmental eyes, sliding his hands into his pockets. "Seems like you have a conflict of interest, no?"

"My interest is in stopping the person who corrupted your ley lines." Lorenzo still seemed skeptical so Alec mustered a smile. "You have my word."

"Not a very loyal boyfriend, are you?"

Alec furrowed his brows in confusion. "I'm sorry?"

"You're dating Leon Cleartree, are you not?" Lorenzo asked, 

"Yes, I am," Alec answered stiffly. The way Lorenzo said Leon's name with disdain and disrespect didn't sit right in the pit of his stomach. "Not Magnus."

"No, but your boyfriend is Magnus' friend." Lorenzo lightly scoffed, as if hoping Alec wouldn't catch it, but Alec did. He just had to restrain himself from reacting to it. "And his parabatai is Magnus' boyfriend."

"I believe in justice, Mr. Rey, and Leon knows that," Alec assured him, a tight smile on his face. He didn't want to hear Leon's name come from Lorenzo's mouth anymore because it only made him angry. "Now if you don't mind, I would like to come in and take an official statement."

Lorenzo sighed and moved to the side of his foyer. "But of course," he sighed.

Alec stepped inside and he listened as Lorenzo closed the front door behind him.