Memories

Bloodhound gathered their equipment and battle gear, laying the items neatly on their bed. They had done this hundreds of times now, like a ritual, before every match, every event that they were contractually obligated to attend as part of the agreement to fight in the Apex Games. They took stock of all their gear and whispered a breath of thanks to the Allfather that they had awoken - another day to repent and bring honor upon their ancestors and to those gone before them too soon.

They raked their hands through their auburn hair that hung down below their shoulders, slender fingers plaiting it neatly to fit under their leather cap. They dressed, pulling on each garment, fastening each button and zipper before clipping on their goggles and respirator. It was preferable to dress out here in the bedroom rather than in the bathroom - they tried to avoid their reflection when possible, not wanting to be confronted by the physical evidence of their failures. They topped everything off with their helm, turning their head and hearing the familiar clink of the charms that dangled from it. The soft tinkling noise accompanied by the wind chime dancing in the breeze outside the open window was a comfort to them.

Despite the peace of the moment, they grimaced. It was a new season, and another Legend was to join their ranks among the Games. This meant Bloodhound was forced to participate in a welcome event. 'Fuse,' they had heard him called by the others. Rumors and speculation traveled fast among the other Legends - if he was friendly, what his abilities were, what he looked like - but for them, he was merely a félagi or andskoti, depending on the squad. Nothing more.

They made the familiar walk to the pick-up point in the forest, following the dirt trail that had been worn away in the undergrowth. Besides this small mark, and their cabin, there was no other sign that a human lived among the trees here. This is the way it should be.

The transport ship was awaiting them, and they rode in silence to the meeting hall in the center of the city, using the trip as an opportunity to meditate. If they made an appearance and introduced themself to the new Legend, perhaps they could return home and fit in a hunt before nightfall. Their stock of meat was low, and they would need to replenish it if they wished to avoid dining in the communal areas where they would be forced to eat with the other Legends. It was not that they disliked the others, but they preferred to live a more reclusive life, among the wildlife, only venturing out on their own accord for necessities they could not forage.

The pleasures of modern life were nice, and they did indulge in some conveniences. But as much as possible, they liked their solitude. In this way, they did their best to follow the Old Ways in the footsteps of their Uncle Artur. Life was simpler like this - perhaps lonely at times, but no close bonds meant no ties to sever if the need arose.

When they arrived at their destination, they straightened out their uniform - regardless of their lack of excitement to meet the newcomer, it would do well to make a good first impression.

"Morning, Hound," Loba's voice called out to them, waving a perfectly manicured hand in their direction.

"Good morning," they replied, settling into step beside her to enter the building together.

"Ready to meet the new Legend?" She raised a plucked eyebrow at them.

They uttered a noncommittal grunt - it was yet to be seen if he would be a worthy adversary. Through the threshold, they could see the other Legends were already gathered. The group formed a crowd around the newcomer, everyone's voice raised trying to be heard above the din. Bloodhound huffed a sigh and plopped into an armchair at the edge of the room. They could bide their time patiently until the initial rush died down.

Loba sat next to them, crossing her legs and jiggling a high-heeled boot back and forth.

"I take it you are not too eager to meet the Legend, either?" they asked.