Silent (Notme x Detective)

[takes place mid November]
((Detective's point of view ))

Notme came to school one day 5 years ago, unable to speak. I asked him what was wrong, and he wrote on a piece of paper,
'I had to get surgery. The doctor made a mistake and permanently damaged my larynx. It's not that I can't talk anymore, it'll just be really hard to talk without my throat hurting'.
That's when I decided to drag him to a sign language class every day for 3 years.

But that was then. Now we are both fluent in sign language, but he still doesn't know I have major feelings for him. I needed to get those feelings out so bad. I went to my friend Will to ask for advice.
"Will I need your help!" I said in a rush. He gave me a confused look.
"With what?" He asked. I blushed, my cheeks tinted with pink.
"How do you confess your love for someone?"
"Ooooo you've got a crush~!" Will mocked. "Who is it?"
"N-Nolan Plexsy..." I stuttered. He looked appalled.
"How could you have a crush on that loser?!" He shouted. "He can't even talk!"
I groaned threateningly, almost sounding like a dragon snarling. Will shied away.
"'K, you usually just tell them why you like them, and hope for the best..." he said timidly. I gave him a small 'thank you' in sign language, but while walking away I muttered an insult under my breath.

I spotted Notme sitting under a tree, reading a book from a small stack. It was one of his favorite pastimes, since he had a minor fear of electronics. I was about to go sit next to him, but a group of three kids got there first. They snatched the book from him, holding it up high so he couldn't reach it. He was only 5'3, so that was effective. I stormed over to them, and, being 6'4, plucked it right out of the bully's hand. They immediately turned around, intimidated by my height and structure. I was notorious for being strong and tall, two things that came in handy when defending my best friend. I rarely had to get physical due to those attributes.
"Scram!" I yelled at the idiots. They obeyed, running away.

My expression softened as Notme ran into a hug, causing me to blush. I then looked at the front cover of the book he was reading. It was a book I recommended to him, called 'dreams come to life'. We exchanged books a few days ago, and he gave me a wonderful yet long book called 'the silver eyes'.
"So, did you like the book I gave you?" I asked. He pulled away to sign.
'I did! I like the part about Buddy thinking the musician was an ink monster.' He signed while smiling. 'Did you like the one I gave you?'
"I loved it! It had a really good sense of mystery. Too bad it leaves off a cliffhanger." I replied. He silently giggled. It always looks so cute when he does that. I sighed. Now's my chance.

"Notme, there's something I've been meaning to tell you." I started. He tilted his head. "I like the way you giggle like that, how amazing and talented you are, how much of a little bookworm you are, I like it when your eyes light up when you're happy... you're just so cute all the time. You're perfect, too perfect for words to explain. I think.. I think I like you... more than a friend..."
'Can you lean down?' He signed.
"Okay?" I did. He walked up to me, before pressing his lips against mine. It was quick, but I absolutely loved it. Now I get why he wanted me to lean down, I'm too tall for him. I was blushing heavily.
'So when do you want to go on a first date?' He asked. I was pretty much the color of a tomato from that.
"We might want to ask our parents first. You know mine are a bit... protective."
'Well, thanksgiving is in a little while. We could try to ask then.' He signed. I don't know how, but I completely forgot that holiday was a thing.
"Okay then. You want to meet at my house or yours?" I asked. He thought for a second.
'Yours.' He replied.

*

"So, how was school?" My mom asked when my 13 year old sister and I got home. Lily answered with a simple "good."
I, on the other hand, blushed when thinking about Notme. I zoned out, trying to come up with something.
"Aiden?" My mom asked. It was then that I knew it was better to just tell the truth outright.
"I got a boyfriend." I replied nervously. Lily looked disgusted, but my parents surprisingly didn't rage.
"You're gay?!" My little sister exclaimed.
"You didn't know?" I inquired sassily. "I talk about it all the time!" Our sibling bond is... chaotic.

"Well, who's the crush?" My dad asked.
"His name's Nolan Plexsy. But he prefers the nickname Notme."
"That mute kid you took a ton of sign language classes just to understand?" Lily said mockingly.
I signed a small insult at her before continuing.
"He said he wanted to come over next week for thanksgiving, if that's fine with you." I mentioned.
"That's fine. Just, please act like a translator. We don't understand sign language, and I don't want him to hurt his throat." my mother said lovingly.
"Honey, are you sure about this?" my dad whispered.
"I'm sure. Nolan has barely any family, and I don't want him to be lonely."
I hugged my mom. "Thanks mom."
"You're welcome sweetie."

Thanksgiving came around quicker than I expected. The smell of my mother's amazing cooking filled the entire house as the doorbell rang. I quickly ran to answer it, and was immediately greeted by my boyfriend. "Hey Notme!"
'Hi!' he signed. He was wearing a different jacket than he usually wears, probably to be slightly more formal. I waved my hand, signaling him to come inside.
'Your house is big!' He signed with a smile.
"Well, it kind of needs to be. We're all really tall. Glad you like it!" I replied.
It was true, my house really is big. It formed a large V shape, with the living room and backyard in between. The front door opened into the living room, where my (mildly annoying) little sister sat.
"Hey mutey." she said crossly. I gave her an upset glare.
"I'm not entirely mute." Notme said, his voice hoarse as he struggled to get those four words out. He coughed a little into his elbow, but Lily simply rolled her eyes at his pain.
"Lily, don't make this any harder for him. He has enough to deal with at school." I scorned. She shrugged her shoulders.

"Hello, you must be Nolan!" my mom exclaimed. Notme nodded, shaking hands with her.
'It's nice to meet you!' he signed with a gentle smile. I relayed the information to her.
"Hey there. How are you?" my dad asked.
'I'm fine, except for the fact that I hurt my throat a little.' he replied. My father raised his eyebrow when I translated, and I pointed my thumb at Lily.
"Well, Lily is often rude to anyone with a disability. Don't take it too personally."

While we all waited on the couch, my parents asked Notme a ton of questions while I translated all the reponses. He once referred to me as 'Detective', which I had to explain.
"We.. refer to each other by our nicknames." I said nervously.
"Your nickname is Detective? Why?" Lily inquired.
"I dunno, people just started calling me that. It grew on me I guess." I replied.
They asked even more questions, most being light hearted, until my sister asked,
"How did you become a selective mute?"
Notme raised his hands to sign, but they trembled in fear and a hint of what I thought was rage. He took a deep breath before responding.
'I was shot in the throat. My stepdad was teaching me how to shoot a revolver when I was 12, and he was twirling his gun around his finger. The safety wasn't on and he-' he paused, tears streaming down his cheeks. 'He shot me. He brought me to the hospital, but the surgeon damaged my larynx while trying to get the bullet out...' he paused again. 'I nearly died that day.'

I didn't know how to respond. He was crying, holding onto me. I was attempting to comfort him.
"Let's give them some space. I need to check on the oven anyway." my mom told the rest of my family. They left me and my boyfriend alone.

I was tracing shapes on his back, trying to calm him down. That's when I got an idea. I sang a short part of a song he liked; so suspicious.
He lifted his head as I sang. I wiped his tears, biting my lip. I leaned down, kissing him. It was longer than that first kiss under the tree we had. We were both blushing by the time it was over.
'Thank you.' Notme signed, his face dried. I nodded in sympathy.

"I love you, Notme."