The Creator

((Julie's point of view))

Being least talented is tough. While the rest of my family was into things like magic and sword fighting, I was your average fanfic writer and artist. And that was all I did for the longest time. Not to mention my sister Jo was way better at everything I'm good at, and I had very few friends, all of them I suspected were fake. They all used my magical heritage to impress their friends, along with conning me out of my money.

one day, my grandpa, a powerful sorcerer, performed a very dangerous spell, and It killed him. I was devastated, but little did I know his death changed my entire life. In his will, he wrote that my sister got 75 percent of his riches, while I got the rest, along with his massive library. It was filled to the brim with spell books, tomes, magical artifacts, fairy tales, but what warmed my heart was 6 different books. All were written by me.

I noticed a note on the front cover of my proudest book, "tale of the Quistians". It said:
"Turn me into something that will make you happy."
That's when my life changed for the better.

That night, I went to my grandfather's library, seeking a book on how to turn souls into something new, then I found one. I flipped through the pages, the rustling of paper filling the otherwise silent air. I saw a spell that told me how to turn a character from a book into a real person by splitting a soul into parts. I bookmarked the page, and grabbed my stories before running up the stairs to the spell tower. It was still a bit dirty up there from the explosion spell, but it was otherwise intact. I got everything set up, before opening "Nyla and the 7 chakras".

I took in a deep breath, reciting the spell.
"...souls and sadness are the most powerful tools of creation!" I finished. I waved my wand at the floor. Blue lightning shot from my hand, the shoes of a character I love with all my heart manifesting. My eyes widened as the bottom of the cat onesie started to appear, the spell slowly making its way upward. Finally, her cat ears flicked as the spell finished. Nyla was complete. Her orange eyes opened, darting around, panicked. They eventually landed on me, making me cower.
"Who are you?! What have you done to me?!" Nyla shouted. I simply showed her the book she came from. She took the book from my hand, slowly flipping through it.
"How did you know about all this?" She questioned.
"Because I created you. You're my character, one of my favorites! My grandfather told me to reincarnate him into something that would make me happy. So I made you!"
Nyla gave me a puzzled look when she saw the rest of my books. "What are those for?"

I picked up the next book, "fish flames and flowers", and recited the spell. The lightning burst from my hand, creating two sets of webbed feet, transitioning to a large lioness, with glowing water for a long mane that sparkled in the starlight. Macha, my first ever character. I didn't start writing about her until recently, but she was my first, Nyla was my second. I recited the spell again, and again, creating the four other characters destined to be my friends.

I began with Notme, the sleep deprived, depressed blue boy that I love with every ounce of my being. He's just like me. His crown glimmered, his tan skin just as I imagined it.
Then came Draco, a member of a species I made at school for class. His cyan fur was soft as a kitten, his wings and scales blue as the ocean. His large nose was as black as the night sky. His purple eyes glittered.
Next was Florence, my fox security guard hybrid. His orange tail flicked with confusion, his ears folded.
Finally was Violet, a purple rabbit folk who was taller than me. Her indego hair was short and thin.

"Who are you?!" They each shouted at me.
"I'm Julie, your creator. My grandpa died, and I inherited his spell collection so I could bring you guys to life. You're from my stories." They looked at each other in sadness.
"So everything we've ever experienced was fake?" Florence asked. "We're all just from a story?"
"Not entirely fake." I handed them each the book they came from, to which they smiled as their eyes widened. They flipped through the pages.