Chapter 1 - Prison

Caine paced back and forth in a cold cramped room. He hated being confined, every fibre of his being detested this place. There were so many vile smells and so many people crammed into the endless rows of cells.

A slot in the large steel door opened. "Supper," grunted the guard as he pushed the tray through the small opening. "Filthy mutt." The guard mumbled when Caine took the tray before he closed the slot again.

Caine let out a low growl as he sneered at the guard and his stupid insult at Caine's genetic background. Caine was a splice, human DNA spliced with wolf. He wasn't the only one. Powerful dynasties, like the Abrasax family have been meddling with genes for millenia. Even the guard wasn't pure human, he was only trying to get under Caine's skin. Like most splices, they are bred for specific purposes and usually qualities like loyalty and obedience are enhanced. Rebeliousness is not a desirable trait. Splices like Caine weren't desirable, even though he had become known for his tracking ability and fighting skills. He was aggressive at times, even for a soldier and defiant, which was definitely not suitable for a soldier.

Sniffing the food in front of him he grimaced. Even now after all this time, he could barely stomach this slop. He resented being in this hell hole altogether.

He couldn't even remember what he had done to end up here. Shaking his head as he stared at his food, he thought back to the incident. Even now he can only go by what he was told.

Unfortunately he knew it was very possible, he never did like these Entitled. They me made him feel uneasy, still he also knew that he must have been provoked. You can only poke a dog with a stick so many times before he bites.

And bite I did, Caine thought to himself, tore the guys throat out. Or so I've been told. But he must have done something to set me off. Yeah, I know I have a temper, but I usually manage to keep it in check when necessary.

* * *

Caine was laying on his cot when he heard the metal door unlock. Turning his head he watched as the guard stepped in with cuffs, "Get up, time to go", the guard says the guard gruffly.

Caine got up slowly while keeping his eyes on the guard. Even though he was the runt of his litter, Caine still stood at least a couple inches taller than the guard. Sure the guy was muscular but Caine almost felt insulted that this was the guard assigned to him. Didn't they know just how dangerous he was.

"Where are we going?" Caine asked. He almost never left his cell. And as much as he wanted to be out of there, he felt tense as the guard put on the cuffs and made them tight, too tight. Caine sneered at the guard but resisted the growl that was building up in his throat.

"That's none of your concern." The guard barked as he finished with the cuffs and shoved Caine through the door. The guard led him down several hallways until finally he was ushered into a large office.

There standing on the either side of the room was a man who was clearly Entitled. Also in the room were two large bodyguards. Caine smirked to himself. This man is too scared to meet with me without guards of his own. His garments were extravagant like only the most wealthy of Houses displayed. Several rings adorned each of his hands. He looked to be only in his early 20s, if that. However, Caine knew that those who were rich enough had the gift of eternal youth. In fact, it was the currency throughout the 'Verse; long ago humans had found a way to literally bottle youth. They called it RegeneX, and the people with the most were not only insanely rich but could live for thousands of years.

Finally, the man turns to greet him. It is Titus, youngest son of Seraphi of the House of Abrasax. The Abrasax family was the most powerful among the elite, what was he doing here?

Titus smiled, a cold tight smile, "Ah, Mr. Wise, I have a proposal for you..."