Chapter 10 - Free Parking

Author's Note: Ok, so this chapter was going to be longer but I cut it short. I wanted to publish it right away, since you've been waiting. The next chapter will include scenes not seen in the movie. I will try to update sooner next time. Thanks for your patience and wonderful comments. Please keep them coming. I love knowing that someone has actually read my work.

Jupiter stares down at her wrist and studies her new space tattoo. It only took 12 hours and a fairly substantial bribe for her to be verified as the Authentic Recurrence of Her Ladyship, the Abrasax Sovereign, whatever that means, and to claim her inheritance, which as it turns out isn't just Earth. The entire solar system falls within her possession, however the Earth is the only commodity with any real value. As an Abrasax she is also entitled to stock options for Abrasax Industries, although she would remain a silent partner. Advocate Bob said that he will catalogue any remaining assets and forward it to her soon.

Caine watched her quietly, thankful to finally be done with the endless amount of paperwork. Jupiter looked relieved, as well, and for the first time in a while she seemed to relax. Caine scanned the passageway they were in, before returning his full attention on Jupiter, as she went on about some regulatory department which oversees transportation on earth.

"Well, you did it." Caine says in a subdued voice. "It's official. You are now Entitled." Caine face remained passive as he spoke, making it difficult for anyone to read, but Jupiter thought he seemed quieter, cautious.

"Entitled to what, exactly..." Jupiter asks with a more cheerful voice than she feels, "like free parking? Key to the city?" Still doubtful of the whole genetic reincarnation of some long dead sovereign, that harvested countless lives in order to cheat death. The reality of all this is too depressing to even think about. "What does that even mean?"

"It means," Caine says, staring at her intently, "that her majesty's life is going to change... if she wants it to."

The low timber of Caine's voice made Jupiter tremble at the sound. Two things echoed in her brain, the first was how Caine was the only person who seemed to care about what she wanted. And the second, "Can you say that again?" Caine tilted his head unsure what he said. "Just the 'Your Majesty' part."

Caine's lips curl just at the edges and nods his head ever so slightly. Then in a low, almost sensual tone Caine repeats, "Your Majesty."

Those words reach straight into the depths of her and pull at something within. "When other people say it," she says softly, "it makes me really uncomfortable. But when you say it... I don't know." Jupiter stares up at the large lycatant before her and steps towards him leaving just enough space that she doesn't have to crane her neck to look up at him. "I will admit that there are things about my life that I would like to change. But that doesn't make me a different person." Caine shifts slightly, very aware of her nearness. "It doesn't... it doesn't change the things that matter to me or who I care about." Jupiter's voice trembles with emotion; Caine knows she isn't only speaking of her family. "I'm still the same me." Caine stares down into her rich, dark eyes and knows she truly believes what she says.

"If your Majesty says so," he replies indulgently.

"Well," she pressed, "you're the one with the Entitled instinct... is anything happening to you right now?" Moving closer she challenges, "Does any part of you want to bite me?" Jupiter's chin lifted up defiantly, daring Caine to make a move as she waited for his reply.

Caine voice felt stuck in his throat as he considered her question. Shaking his head, he answered huskily, "No." No he didn't want to hurt her, he could never cause her harm. But still she stirred something inside, something primal. "...well, maybe." Caine's eyes twinkled mischievously for one brief moment.

"Well, go ahead," Jupiter says boldly.

Caine is so close and is having trouble thinking straight, again. What is it about her that short circuits my brain? But his cautious nature won't allow him to leap or fall into the unknown. "How can your Majesty be so sure..." he asks. How can she be so confident and vulnerable at the same time... when I am always unsure? At least in the military I knew what was expected of me, I'm not prepared for this. "...if as you've said your compass is broken?" Caine tilted his head as he watched her mouth form an answer, her beautiful full lips that he longed to kiss.

Emboldened by his nearness and the intimacy of their gaze, she declares, "Tell me that I'm wrong. You used to work for Titus, but that's not true anymore." Jupiter's gaze trails down to his mouth as he licks his lips then back up to his eyes. "Why stick around? Why help me?"

Because I would do anything for you, Caine thinks. Something inside him locks down, a defense mechanism to stop him from getting hurt. There is no RegeneX to cure the kind of pain he would no doubt feel if he allowed himself to be exposed. "Because of Stinger," he blurts out. He knows he's going to regret his next words but he has know idea how much, until he sees the hurt on her face when, dropping his head and taking a step back, he adds, "He thinks that if we help you, then you might help us get back into the Legion." And there it is, the pain in her eyes that he put there, cruelly, like the coward he is. The last thing he ever wanted to do was cause her pain, But it was for her own good, he thought. And if he truly believed that, then he was a fool and a coward.

Jupiter didn't let the hurt show long, instead she said tightly, "I see."

And before she can do anything else, Stinger emerges from a shadowed corner with his pistol raised. "Good to know we're both liars."

"What is this?" Caine growls as he and Jupiter whirl around to see several more people closing in around them. Caine stands protectively near Jupiter his gun raised in an instant pointing at their attackers, then turning to Stinger for answers.

Stinger mumbles, "Sorry."

"Hello, Mr. Wise," Famulus says smugly, a cold smile playing across her face, as she steps out from among the armed guards.

Stinger draws Caine's focus back to him, reaching out for Caine's gun, he says, "Don't make this harder than it has to be." Jupiter can see that this is hopeless, even though Caine might try and take them all out. She puts a hand out to Caine's chest and without a word she let's him know not to try and fight. Her fingers burn through his shirt and he knows she is right. Titus wants her alive, at least for now, and if he wants to protect her then he needs to stay alive, as well. Caine slowly lowers his weapon, as a low growl builds in the back of his throat.

"Thank you Mr. Apini," says Famulus as she circles her captives, "We'll take it from here."

Stinger hesitates, then says to Famulus, "You said you weren't going to take Caine." Moving forward, he is suddenly stopped by two guards on each side, who grab him escorting Stinger away from the corridor.

Famulus turns back to Jupiter, "Well, if you would be so kind as to follow me, we have a shuttle ready to take you aboard Lord Titus' ship." Famulus' feigned civility grates on Caine's nerves, as he shakes off the hands of one of the guards who tries to push him forward. Caine and Jupiter walk beside each other as they approach the docking bay. Jupiter looks up at Caine with her questioning. brown eyes but he doesn't know what to expect either.