Chapter 15 -"You Wound Me, Mr. Wise."

Caine stayed with Jupiter until they had portaled to her home planet. They spoke little as the ship traveled to Earth, taking comfort in the presence of the other but not acknowledging any deeper feelings.

Once in orbit of Earth, yet concealed to its inhabitants, Jupiter and Caine returned to the bridge of the Aegis Cruiser.

Captain Tsing turned to face them with a smile, her hands folded behind her back, evidence of her former days in the military. "Your Majesty," she says dipping her head in respect. Captain Tsing explains that they still have things to discuss regarding the Transfer of Title. "But for now, let's get you home. Tomorrow we can meet again to go over details. If you will permit us to accompany you with a small security detail, we can be on our way momentarily."

Jupiter nodded her assent. She liked liked Diomika Tsing. Although formal in her attentions toward Jupiter, Diomika was a leader her crew would readily follow into battle and her formality belied a warmth for those close to her.

Caine watched, staying close to Jupiter's side as they prepared to depart. Although Jupiter appeared confident, he could sense the tension beneath the calm exterior.

The grav-beam deposited them in a quiet alley near her home. It was a small group, so as to not attract unneeded attention, which consisted of Jupiter and Caine, Captain Tsing, android crew member, Gemma Chatterjee, first officer Phylo Percadium, and Stinger.

The group approached the Bolotnikov residence. In the dim, evening light Jupiter could see that something was off. It was nearly 10 pm and many of the lights were still on. Since most of them begin work early, the only light at this hour would be cousin Vladie still playing his video games.

Feeling the increasing tension from his queen, Caine looks down and sees Jupiter frowning. Looking back at the house he notices the front door open a crack. A low rumble escapes his throat as he goes on full alert.

Quickening their pace, Jupiter reaches the front step and pushes the door open the rest of the way. "Mom?" she asks, scanning the living room. Seeing the room in disarray, Jupiter gasps as she looks around "Oh god no! Nino?" Caine is by her side in an instant, but her family isn't here. Instead, Caine smells a rat-splice, an intoxicated one at that. Turning the corner to the dining room, they see Chicanery Night sitting on a chair in the middle of the room, a large hole in the ceiling above him. With well-trained, lightning quick reflexes guns are pulled and aimed at the Chicanery Night and the Sargon standing next to him.

Chicanery rises slowly, so as not to stumble in his inebriated state. "Good evening, Your Majesty," he says, carefully sounding out each word. Caine steps closer to Jupiter, a low growl in his his throat. "Easy, Dingo."

"Where's my family?" Jupiter demands.

"Well, we can all only hope that they remain unharmed," Chicanery says in exaggerated manner, slurring slightly on the last word, snickering to himself. Jupiter lunges forward slapping Chicanery hard across his cheek. "I see you have the standard issue Abrasax temper."

"A transfer of title has already been processed," Diomika warned. "You and your Lord are trespassing in this precinct."

"We are aware of all current legalities," Chicanery huffed, growing bored with the exchange. "I have been instructed to offer your grace a proposal."

"What proposal?" Jupiter asked, her teeth clenched as she fought the urge to hit him again.

"You are to come with me to meet My Lord," Chicanery began, still bored and now the vodka was beginning to lose its effect. "There you will abdicate your title and in return My Lord guarantees that he will do everything in his power to see that no harm comes to you or your family."

Diomika stepped forward, her words laced with concern, "You can't do it, Your Majesty. You cannot trust these people. If you abdicate, you'll have nothing to protect yourself."

"You're going to kill them if I don't come with you," Jupiter glared at the splice in front of her.

"Your Majesty," Chicanery gasped in mock horror, "I could not even consider such an abhorrent crime."

"He's lying," Caine growled, standing protectively near Jupiter.

"You wound me, Mr. Wise," Chicanery feigned injury at Caine's words.

"If I were trying to wound you, Mr. Night," Caine glares at the splice, his voice low and threatening, "you wouldn't be breathing." The look of murder in the lycantants' eyes made Chicanery's cool facade falter.

Growing tired of this tedious drama, the large sargon spoke, his voice low and rumbling with a slight hiss on his S's, "If it makes everyone feel warm and cozy, the Aegis is welcome to follow us."

"No," Caine says firmly. He couldn't let her go, he wouldn't. "She won't be going anywhere with you."

"Very well," Chicanery sighs, "I will inform My Lord you have rejected his offer." Chicanery turns and begins to leave.

"Wait," Jupiter pleads. Turning to speak only Caine, she looks up into his eyes. "This is my family," she says, her voice almost a whisper as she looks to him for understanding.

Leaning in close, he shakes his head. "It's too dangerous," Caine says in a husky voice, his eyes guarded but his growing fear beginning to show itself.

Jupiter's warm brown eyes look softly at Caine, "I know..." she's says gently, then straightening her back and hardening her resolve, she says firmly, "but it's not your decision."

Caine opens his mouth to protest, but the look in her eyes says this isn't up for discussion. Helpless was not something Caine was accustomed to feeling, yet watching Jupiter walk away, he couldn't remember ever feeling more helpless. Clenching his fists, he turns to Captain Tsing to say something but she's already ordering the group to return to the Aegis Cruiser and signaling the ship to prepare for takeoff.