1.1

"merlin, dawn. on the platform? low blow, even for him."

as soon as dawn had opened the door to the compartment, her closest friends knew something was wrong. despite the brave face she swore to hide behind, the girls saw the faltering smile, heard the shaky voice, and were quick to help her remove the mascara she couldn't see was staining her cheeks.

"honestly, lily, it's fine. i'm just shocked, that's all."

dawn was telling the truth. she could live without richard easily, he was nothing but added stress anyway (and, mary says, is the reason dawn
achieved an E in potions instead of an O) . what hurt dawn, however, was the fact he had ended things in the least amicable way possible; on the train platform in front of severus snape. dawn neglected to tell her friends just how embarrassed she felt and that talking about it only made her feel worse, after all they were trying to help. still, she was silently grateful for dorcas, who hadn't said a word and instead sat with a confused expression on her face, as if she had never seen this coming (the rest of them had, definitely).

"which compartment is he in? i swear to-", marlene started, but was suddenly interrupted by the compartment door flying open.

"what's up motherfuckers- oh shit!" sirius black, ever the gentleman, said loudly. stood in the corridor were the self-proclaimed marauders: sirius black, james potter, remus lupin and peter pettigrew.

(dawn shivered each time she remembered they named their friendship group. gross.)

"not a good time, black." mary scolded. however, it was james who replied.

"no worries, girls. i'm just here to escort evans here to the prefect compartment. top secret business, you know."

"remind me, remus," lily asked, "why are you not the second gryffindor prefect?"

remus smirked from behind james, "i'm allergic to the silver badges." the boys thought this was remarkably funny, but dawn couldn't place where the joke was. poor remus, she thought, missing out on prefect because of an allergy.

lily stood up to leave, whilst james made a comment about him being the "perfect prefect partner, thank you", earning him a slap on the arm from lily. despite this, dawn swore she could see lily giggling as they made their way to the other prefects. the rest of the boys left after lily and james, leaving the girls to their original conversation.

"are all boys massive twats?" asked marlene, "i'm so glad i fancy girls. fuck that."

dorcas laughed, "i don't know, not like i've had much luck with them."

"don't worry dorc, they're not worth it anyway." mary comforted, "right, dawn?"

but dawn wasn't listening. instead, she was gazing out of the window, pretending richard had never existed.