Hard Conversations (7)

The next morning I wake up when Randy turns in his sleep and accidentally slaps me in the face. I wait a few seconds before opening my eyes, hoping I'll fall asleep again, before checking my alarm clock. 9:22 am

Fuck we're late for school. I shake Randy, his objections stop as soon as I say the time. Scrambling to get ready, I run to the bathroom and brush my teeth as Randy gets dressed. Instead of showering, I decide to take a can of dry shampoo my mom has and hope for the best. I exit the bathroom and Randy hands me a pile of clothes as he walks in.

"Extra toothbrushes are under-"
"I know Ben hurry and get dressed" he cuts me off as the door closes. I get on most of my clothes, but stop for a moment putting on my shirt. It smells like cinnamon and is a bit too big: Randy grabbed one of his on accident. I start walking to the drawer when he comes in to grab his backpack.

"What are you doing? We don't have time for you to be picky!"

"It's one of yours!"

"Who gives a fuck put it on and let's go! If I'm late to 3 period again Ms. Tucker is gonna give me a month of detention!"

I give up and pull the shirt over my head, reach or my keys and backpack, and run downstairs with Randy, stopping to grab an orange for each of us. Not a great meal but it's something.

We split up to run to our respective classes at 9:46- 4 minutes to get to 3rd period. I walk through the crowds of people, catching my breath and someone grabs my shoulder. I flinch before turning around, surprised to see one of Stu's exes looking at me. I remember this one.

"Hey Casey long time no see! How ya been?"
She smiles and holds up a keychain with Micheal Myers face on it.

"This fell of your bag, I tried calling your name but guess you didn't hear me"

"Oh thanks Casey, I just got it 2 weeks ago how it break?" I say the last part to myself mostly but it doesn't stop her from answering.

"Did you get it from the video store? I got the same one and it broke quick too. If you want To come over and hangout I can fix it, I miss talking to you." I'm about to respond when she speaks again, "of course if it's gonna cause issues with you and Stu it's fine, I can just fix it and give it to you later"

"Oh no I wanna hang out! He'll be fine, we never got to watch Nightmare on Elm together." I'm met with a grin before she gives me a small hug, telling me to come over tonight and then rushing to class.
"It's a date," she calls out, a flirtatious voice finally making me realize the nature of our conversation.

FUCK. I've been ignoring Stu since yesterday and now I have a date with his ex, the only girl I've actually had a thing for in the past, even if no one knew it's still bad, I jog to class making it before the bell rings.

At lunch Billy and Stu finally manage to corner me and take my away from our group.

"Why are you dodging us man? Did we do something?" Yes. You murdered your girlfriends mother and cheated on her with your best friend while also trying to get with me.

"No I'm not doing that- I'm just busy"

"You skipped half your classes, ran from us in the halls and moved when I touched your shoulder, sound like that to me." For the first time in a long time, Stu genuinely sounds sad, a different kind of guilt tramples the one I felt when holding Sid at the fountain earlier. I listened to her talking about how If I just had gotten home earlier, if I took the faster route instead of stopping to look at the store, maybe I could have saved her. Some how the look on Stu face made me hurt more.

"Look I'm sorry I just saw everyone and," I lower my voice and lean in a bit, anger lacing my words. "I know their gonna die and I don't like it" I put a hand up to stop Billy from talking.