3

His ribs hurt. Zero crouched on the rooftop, hovering his hand over his side. He really wanted those pain meds right now.

Taking deep breaths - deep breaths that irritated the bruises - he shoved the pain to the back of his mind and stood up, scanning the streets for his target.

Zero had squeezed information out of the archer before he'd slit his throat; the intel had led him to the edge of the town nearest Mystic Jungle, a rundown restaurant the first building in sight. He'd seen a dark figure slip inside, and another disappear into the alley behind the restaurant. Wherever this archer had come from, he apparently wasn't the only one.

He drew his sword when the figure from the alley reappeared, heading for the door to the restaurant. He leaped off the roof, rolling to standing and jogging over. The figure turned a second too late, Zero's blade pressing against his neck.

"Not a sound," he growled, shoving his target back into the alley and against the wall.

"You don't scare me," his target spat.

"If you won't give me the information I want, then I have no use for you," Zero snapped back. He pressed his blade further into his victim's neck to prove his point. "Now. Who do you work for? Why was your colleague targeting the (f/c) (a/t)?"

"Cut me open if you have to. I'm no snitch." The Mobian spit on Zero's face and he shook his head, baring his teeth.

"I will tear your little organization apart, brick by brick. If that's what it takes."

"I'd like to see you try. We survived the war. We survived Infinite. If you should fear anyone, it's the survivors. They're the strongest, and therefore the most dangerous."

"I agree," Zero said. "But does that not also make me a survivor? And trust me," he interrupted as the Mobian opened his mouth, "whatever you had to endure, I can guarantee my struggles were worse." He cut into the Mobian's neck slightly, blood dribbling through his fur. "Are you going to tell me what I want to know?"

"Never. Like I said: You don't scare me. Go ahead and rip out my throat." Zero nodded.

"If you won't tell me your secret, perhaps you'll appreciate one of mine," he said, leaning forward even as his blade cut into the Mobian's throat. He whispered into his victim's ear, pulling back in time to see his eyes widen. Zero's eyes flashed red and without further hesitation, he spilled the Mobian's blood across the wall and floor of the alley.

~

He saw the (a/t) as he was washing the blood out of his fur in a stream running parallel to the east edge of the town. She had her wispon pointed into the Jungle, down on one knee and staring at something. He was surprised to see her out so soon after she'd been injured, but he supposed she was like him in that sense.

He watched her, his ears flicking when she suddenly fired, a series of explosions sounding from inside the Jungle. She stood up, limping towards where her targets were. Zero perked up slightly, shaking himself off and trotting after her.

She'd apparently taken out a group of Badniks, nudging the remains with her wispon. One of her ears twisted backwards and she whirled around, pointing her weapon straight at Zero. He froze, then relented and stepped out of his cover.

"What are you doing here?" she asked wearily, lowering her wispon.

"Unfinished business," he said hesitantly.

"Following me?" she said, setting one hand on her hip. He nodded at her side.

"You're still injured," he pointed out.