𝕋𝕙𝕚𝕣𝕥𝕪

📆: September 22nd, 2022
📍: Little Ruby's Cafe, Midtown Manhattan, NY

"Oh, thank you, honey." Elaine smiles at her daughter when the brunette holds the door open for her.

"No problem, momma." she waves off, entering the cafe after her mother. She tells the older woman to grab them a table and she'll order.

Elaine finds a window seat for the two of them and Toni watches as the older woman lets out a slight cough and rubs her chest.

Before she can question herself, the cashier grabs her attention, making her forget about what she has just seen. She orders a bacon egg and cheese on a bagel for the two of them, opting out on tea to drink instead of coffee.

She'd occasionally look over at Elaine while she waits for their food and every now and then she'll see her mother wipe sweat from her head.

"The cafe isn't even hot." she tilts her head, mumbling to herself.

"Order for Topaz!" she turns her head to see a woman holding up a bag with a foam cup stand. "Thank you." she sends the worker a nod before trekking her way over to the table where her mother resides.

"Thank you, Honey." Elaine offers her motherly smile Toni has loved since she was small. It always makes her feel so warm inside.

"No problem."

"So, how has everything been, dear? You and Cheryl talking again?"

"Yes, momma. We are fine now. Sorry, I worried you with that phone call." the athlete emits a slightly awkward chuckle.

"Toni, you know you can come to me for anything. I'm your
mother, no need to be embarrassed." the woman places her light tone hand over her daughter's brown one.

They stare into each other eyes with small smiles, Elaine caressing her hand gently. "Now, tell me all about your anniversary! How did the night go?"

"Amazing. Like it was a fever dream. We ate...laughed, cuddled, and watched a movie..." the brunette trails off, skipping the part where they had ongoing mindblowing sex.

"That's g–good–" Elaine begins to say but falls into a coughing fit. Toni instantly goes around the table to gently pat her back, worry written all over her face.

After a moment, her mother clears her throat. "Thank you, my love."

"Are you okay, mom?" the older woman frowns at the look of worry displayed on her daughter's face.

"Oh, I'm fine, dear. Dont worry. I've just been a bit under the weather."

"Are you sure?" Toni searches her eyes for reassurance. Something she and Mikayla have been doing since they were younger. Elaine always has the kindest eyes. They find comfort in them to this day.

"I'm very sure, Toni. Don't worry about me." the latter laughs it off.

Truth is, she's been having these chest pains, headaches, and shortness of breath for about two weeks now. Sometimes it takes a while for her to gain her breath back.

She puts on a smile, despite the pain resting in her chest and Toni lets out a small sigh of relief.

"As I was saying before, dear. I'm happy that you and Cheryl are doing better now. Don't ever let her go, baby, she seems like someone you'll want to keep around for a while."

"I wouldn't dream of it, ma. Cheryl means so much to me." her daughter smiles softly before looking down. "I think...I'm in love with her."

"Oh! Toni, that's amazing!" Elaine expresses. "I'm sure she feels the same way." she gently squeezes her hand.