Hay Barrel Trouble

One day when the girls were out at church Rufus had an idea. He was bored as Giggles was sick and had left Lamby in charge of Teddytown, and because Lamby was the mayor assistant, whenever she was put in charge she always wanted to please Giggles, so things were boring. This time she'd assigned everyone to cleaning up the town. Last time it was organising all the books all over the town, (and believe me, Teddytown has a lot of books) And the time before that it was delittering the beach on the western coast of town. Rufus got so bored he jumped out of a portal to the human world, (via the storage buckets where the teddies are kept) just so he could get out cleaning. Lamby was a very kind teddy, but when she was left in charge she made standards to please Giggles, which turned her from kind, motherly Lamby, to bossy leader Lamby.

 Rufus was staring out of one of the windows, bored (obviously) when he spotted one of the ginourmes hay bales in the neighbors paddock and got an idea. (In his opinion it was THE idea) Ran over to the portals/storage buckets and jumped in. He had to get Yogy. Honestly, it was the idea of the year! He thought about where Yogy might hide during cleaning time. Then, it hit him. He knew EXACTLY where Yogy would be during clean up time. At Hoby's house, eating honey pancakes. Hoby lived on the far side of Teddytown so no one would bother looking for Yogy there. Hoby was also famous for his AMAZING honey pancakes and was the oldest teddy in Teddytown. Rufus didn't know why he hadn't thought of going there himself instead of wasting and hour watching horses eat grass. Rufus suddenly realised he hadn't thought through which portal he should have gone through and landed on top of the village fountain! To be honest, he didn't know why Giggles had placed a portal over the fountain in the first place! Soaking wet and grumbling, Rufus jumped down from the fountain and realised that, not only had he landed on the village fountain, he'd also landed in the busiest part of town, which meant it was busy right now, when everyone was cleaning! AAHH! He had to think fast for a way to get out without anyone noticing he wasn't cleaning and tell Lamby. Then he'd be in real trouble. Rufus suddenly remember a spy movie he'd watched yesterday. He could try some of their moves. He tried a special sumersault to get behind the nearest bush. Fail. He tried sneaking away quietly. Fail. (Rufus may be a teddy but he's the loudest one ever!) He looked around searching for something to get him out of there. Then, he saw a plastic bag lying on the ground and thought he could of saved a lot of time and trouble if he'd just thought of that in the first place! He could pretend to clean up so he could get out, but not actually clean up. Genius! he grabbed a plastic bag, all the while hoping someone hadn't already seen him not cleaning, and gone to get Lamby. He looked around cautiously. Everything seemed normal. Rufus sneakily crept around a building and as soon as he was out of sight he ran. He zigzagged around buildings, gardens, and other teddies, running as fast as his little legs would take him. in the direction of Hoby's house. When he got there he bolted through the front gate, puffing and panting, (he isn't the fittest of teddies) and charged through the front door. 

Inside Hoby's house was warm and cosy and when Rufus arrived in the kitchen he saw Yogy sitting at the kitchen table, eating honey pancakes. He looked up from his meal, "You took a while! Hoby had your pancakes all ready for you and then they went cold because you weren't here!" 

Hoby chuckled and Rufus blushed, embarrassed. Him and Yogy always went there when there was work that Hoby had made some for him and now Hoby's work had gone to waste! Hoby laughed again. "Don't worry," he said, "I put them in the oven to keep them warm, so they'll be just fine." Rufus sighed in relief. He'd been sad that Hoby's work had gone to waste, but even more sad that he thought he'd missed out on honey pancakes! As soon as both Yogy and Rufus had finished gobbling up their pancakes, Rufus told Yogy his idea.

"Hey, Yogy you know those big round hay bales in the neighbors paddock?" 

"Yes." Yogy answered.

 "Well, I had an idea that we could roll them around the paddock and ride on them!" Yogy's eyes shone. He thought it was a great idea! On the other hand, Hoby shook his head at them. 

"That's a terrible idea that will blow up in your face."Rufus and Yogy just laughed. They knew nothing could go wrong. Right? Eager to get away from Hoby's lectures about how it could go wrong, the two teddies climbed the stairs to Hoby's bedroom, where he had a portal of his very own. They jumped in and landed in one of the storage buckets in the human world. The only problem was, they didn't know how to get out of the bucket as they usually landed in a shallower one. They both looked at each other and grinned a cheeky grin, then started rocking the container. Back and forth, back and forth, until, CRASH! The bucket tipped over. They ran to the stairs and tumbled all the way down. They ran outside but as soon as they got out their they suddenly had know idea how they were going to ride on the round hay barrels. They walked over into the neighbors paddock, because, as Yogy pointed out, they weren't gonna be able to figure anything out unless they went over there first. When they arrived in the neighbors paddock they suddenly realized how big these things were! From the window they'd looked big, but now they were HUMONGOUS! It seemed that it would be impossible to climb on top of one, let alone ride it. But, Rufus and Yogy were determined. They decided to use the horses that were in the paddock to help them get on the hay bale and then ride it. They both grabbed onto the swinging tail of the horse nearest to the hay bale, then walked carefully along the back of the horse and balanced along its head until they were right above the hay bale. They jumped down onto the top of the bale and tried to get the horses attention. Soon enough, after jumping up and down, and a lot of yelling the horses had started to wonder what the noise and strange creatures had come from. They started nosing the hay bale, try to get the noise to stop and the creatures to go away. The barrel started rolling going faster and faster until Rufus and Yogy couldn't keep up with it anymore. 

"WE NEED TO GET OFF!" Yogy screamed. 

"I KNOW! LETS JUMP!" They jumped off just in time as if they had taken any longer the hay bale would have rolled over them and they either would have been squashed very flat like a pancake or all their stuffing would have come out. Panting in terror the two teddies ran so fast back to the house and through a portal to Teddytown vowing to never do that again.