Chapter Five: Chess Gone Wrong

"Wilbur, I have a question," Quackity spoke as he moved his rook to take out one of Wilbur's knights. He mumbled a curse, humming to show he was listening as he studied the board. He did not get to play chess often---not as much as Foolish, Fundy, and 5up, that's for sure---but when he did, it was usually because Quackity was forcing him to relax a bit, such as now.

Since Wilbur finally opened up about his and Sally's toxic relationship, the two were finally able to bond and grow close as they were before Sally's arrival. The two were able to be best friends again, sneaking off behind Sally's back to hang out as they used to do. Wilbur would be lying if he said he did not yearn the other's presence as if it were a drug, as if the shorter's hugs did not make his heart and wings flutter and face tint pink. He would be a liar if his heart did not skip a beat when he snatched him away, when the boy held his hands and gave him a soft smile for only him to see. He would not be telling the truth if he were to say that he did not treasure their moments in solitude, where it was just the two of them and no one else. But if you asked him, he only thought of Quackity as a dear friend, no matter how wrong the words felt on his tongue.

He would press down those feelings as long as he could, because how could he love Wilbur? Wilbur was cold and cruel, but Quackity was only so when in the presence of an outsider or when needed. Otherwise, he was happy and chaotic and caring---everything everyone else adored. He was loved, Wilbur was feared. Wilbur was broken, emotionless, but Quackity was not. He was energetic and open and trusting---or was, until he got his scar. But Wilbur did not care, not when Quackity was everything he was not. How could Quackity love someone as evil as him? Someone who has sent royals to death to show his power? Besides, he was to be married to his sister! Just because he knew Sally's true colors did not change that---he was essentially a married man! He could not have Quackity, no matter the circumstances, much less would Quackity every want someone like him.

"Do you love my sister?"

Wilbur laughed. He moved his own bishop to overtake one of his knights as revenge, grinning evilly as he did so. "No! Of course not! Not anymore, at least! I got over her four months ago, I am sure."

Quackity sighed of relief, relaxing. He began to chuckle. "Good. I was stressing that you might have some feelings, even lingering ones, for my sister last night."

He was thinking of me last night? Wilbur's breathing hitched, but he quickly shoved the thought away with an internal scolding. He laughed, deciding to joke and tease as he took another turn, Quackity having just moved a pawn. "Oh, come on! You should know me better than that, Q! How could I love her after all she did? You really shouldn't fret, I---Hey!"

Quackity laughed, wings flapping lightly. Wilbur felt his cheeks warm and heart speed up from the sound he considered music to his ears. "Stop getting distracted, mi amor! Keep your head in the game!"

Wilbur gawked. "You're the one purposefully distracting me!"

"Awe, I'm distracting you?" he teased with a sly smirk. "Didn't know me just sitting here could distract you, but I appreciate the compliment."

Wilbur scoffed, taking his turn after some careful observation. "Oh, hush."

Quackity's grin grew. "So you do not deny how just my presence gains your attention?"

Wilbur rolled his eyes, ignoring how his heart sped up. "I cannot deny nor confirm something I never observed. Ask someone who cares."

Quackity dramatically gasped, playfully putting a hand to his heart. "You take that back!"

Wilbur looked up from the chess board, batting his eyes innocently. "Take what back? I have taken nothing."

"You little liar!" Quackity hissed, though there was a grin instead of malice behind his voice. "You care about me!"

Wilbur raised a brow, not being able to remove the soft smile from his lips even to play innocent. "I do?"

"Oh, you little rascal!" Quackity shouted as he leaped over the chess board to grab Wilbur, knocking it over and creating a mess as he began to tickle the taller, causing him to begin laughing uncontrollably.

"The---The chess game!" Wilbur cried out between laughs, only to go ignored by the shorter as he continued releasing his wrath onto Wil. "Le--Let me go! We---We have to clean it up!"

"Not until you say you care about me!"

"Never!"

"Then your torture must go one, mi amor!" Quackity responded. "It is but your punishment! You cannot be released until you admit it!"

"I shall not lie!"

Quackity playfully gasped once more. "You take that back, right now!" he threatened, though the grin on his face remained, as he stopped tickling Wilbur. Wilbur raised a brow, calming down from all the laughing and his hurting sides.

"Or what?"

"Or I'll hug you and never let go."

"And what if I would like that?" he responded smugly. Quackity's grin softened a bit.

"Then I'll do it, just for you," was all he said before abruptly picking up Wilbur, causing him to let out a shout of surprise. He carried the taller to his bed, dumping him on it before collapsing on top of him.

"Quackity," Wilbur laughed, lightly attempting to push him away with no true intentions of doing so. "Get off!"

"Not until you admit that you care about me," Quackity insisted. Wilbur fondly rolled his eyes, trying to calm his heating face and racing his heart, silently hoping it wasn't as loud as he thought it was. He curled his wings in, allowing Quackity's to cover him in a protective embrace, making him all the more flustered. Wilbur chose not to speak, not quiet trusting his voice at the moment to reveal everything he's been concealing, instead staying silent. But Quackity followed through with his promise, not letting go until a servant forced them apart for dinner. While they never mentioned it, everyone could tell that something happened, as both were extremely giggly and happy, Wilbur not as stressed or tense and Quackity not as frustrated or intimidating. They were happy, as if nothing could bother them.

Later, it would soon become routine for them to cuddle until one fell asleep in the other's arms, and they would wake up tangled into each other.

But not a soul was to find out.