Chapter 2: "Robin's Idea"

"Thank me?" Steve asks Eddie as he releases himself from the hug.

Eddie laughs. "It's nothing, just feeling happy that's all."

"Happy? Did Ms. Snyder give you a pill or something?" Steve then stops himself, realizing what he had just said. "Sorry dude, that was a totally inappropriate thing for me to say."

"Relax, Harrington, I didn't take offense to what you said." He laughs. "And no, no pills were taken. I was finally able to sleep, though."

Steve smiles. "Really?" He asks joyfully.

"Really." Eddie replies.

The two gather into Steve's car, as Steve starts the engine and starts heading back to Eddie's trailer to take him home.

"So like did you guys sing Kumbayah together or something? Or do a little magic? C'mon, I wanna know the details."

Eddie smirks. "Actually, I think you already know the details."

Steve is confused now. "What do you mean?" He questions.

Eddie sighs and smiles. "In the car earlier, what you said about me being strong. It resonated with me. So, I thought about that today and it relaxed my mind and trickled me to sleep quickly." He giggles. "I know it sounds stupid, but that's why I wanted to thank you. It's been a little while since I felt like I was actually worth something...and you make me feel like I am. I don't know man, I'm sorry."

"Sorry?!" Steve questions. "Munson, don't be sorry for anything. You've been through hell, you deserve some peace in your life for once." He says. "I'm kinda glad I was able to help, though. Now I know I'm not just doing this all for nothing."

"You felt like you were doing this for nothing?" Eddie questions him. The words begin to sink into his skin.

"No I-" Steve trails off. "That's not what I meant. What I meant was that I'm happy that you are happy and reconciling, slowly, with everything. I want to help you with this, but I feared I would just get in the way of it all, but it appears is occurring. I'm happy."

Eddie smiles and looks out the window as the trees pass by again.

"So, uh, how are things with you and Nancy?" Eddie asks him.

Steve sighs. "Not good...she thought she wanted to be with me again, but then decided she wanted to be with Johnathon...again."

Eddie laughs. "Damn, Harrington, guess you just don't do it for the ladies anymore."

"Shut it, Munson." Steve smirks. "Anyway, I feel like I'm doing better on my own anyway."

"Why's that?" Eddie asks.

"I don't know. Maybe romance just isn't for me right now, maybe I need to work on myself. At least, that's what Robin says."

Eddie laughs again. "I can't believe those words are even leaving your mouth, Harrington. The King Steve that I knew would never say a thing like that."

"Munson, I'm about five seconds away from leaving you here on the side of the road."

"Oh yeah?" Eddie teases.

"I'm serious." Steve persists.

"Alright, then let's see it happen."

Steve sighs.

"Aha, I knew it!" Eddie laughs.

"You're a real dickhead, you know that, Munson?"

"But you still love me, don't ya?"

"Love you?" Steve asks.

"Not like that...you know what I meant."

The thing was, Eddie wasn't even sure if he knew what he, himself, meant. The words just kind of slipped off his tongue. And if he was being honest, he knew the meaning meant more than what he was trying to sugar coat it as. He was confused about the way Steve made him feel. He just knew that whatever he was feeling, if it even was a feeling, he liked it.