Chapter 03

Remi finished cleaning up the dishes and ran out to her room as she changed her clothes.

She opened her bedroom door and before stepping out she paused and stared at Luke who was tearfully standing in front of her.

"Luke? What's wrong?"

She stared at him worriedly. Luke is one of the younger children who doesn't like showing their frail selves. So seeing him in a pitiful state with his hair in a mess and his tie messed up she couldn't help but feel shaken.

"Hic! Leo and Ethan ruined my tie! Waahhhh!"

He wailed as he ran to her and hugged her skirt tightly. Remi frowned and kneeled to his height and hugged him back gently. She softly rubbed his back and whispered to him in comfort then carefully peeled him off her and pulled his tie off which was teared up and dirtied what she could see was paint.

'Those brats... On a day like this... Why won't those two troublemakers just settle down when told?!'

She gritted her teeth at the thought of the two who would make the most trouble for her and the rest of the adults here.

She went back into her room and went through a box that was set aside in the corner near her closet. She figured she wouldn't be able to fix them with only a needle and a thread and washing it. They will be meeting Janet's new family of course.

She looked through the small extra clothes and accessories and found a blue bow that would match his navy suit. She smiled as she glanced at it then turned to Luke who was now only sniveling and not bawling his eyes out like earlier.

"Luke! I found something that will make you stand out even more!"

Luke looked up and his eyes glimmered at the small gem in the middle of the bow.

"Pretty... Hic!"

He ran towards her as he giggled and grabbed onto the bow. He excitedly jumped up and down, his hiccups due to crying loudly earlier between in speech.

"Is, hic, this mine? Really, hic, Sister?"

She smiled at him fondly as she grabbed a comb and combed his brown hair neatly.

"Of course. After all, you are our most handsome boy!"

He exclaimed happily and laughed loudly begging her to put his bow on him quickly. She smiled at his request and nodded. She consciously fixed his bow and patted his chest once she finished.

She placed her hands on his shoulder and turned him to look at the mirror she recently found in the market a month ago.

"How handsome! Our Luke."

Lucas gasped and huffed proudly as he stared at himself in the mirror.

"Luke is always the most handsome! Ehehehe~"

She stared at him affectionately but sadly she had to interrupt his moment. She extended her hand in his direction and spoke.

"Shall we go my charming little prince?"

He watched Remi with his round blue eyes and nodded as he beamed and grasped her hand. She smiled at his pure smile walked out of the room and shut the door. She decided she would fix the box once everything was over.

Yes. Once Janet leaves she will leave this place.

She feels guilt stabbing but there isn't any other choice. For Evelyn and the children. For Janet.

She steeled her resolve and tightened at the bright child in front of her as he walked with big steps and chattered.

They arrived at the Main Hall where the children were all dressed formally and elegantly. She looked around to find the director along with Emily, Evelyn, and Dylan who was still by his mother's side. She was about to let go of Luke's hand but was held back.