Peach Cobbler

As we raced along the creek I could see the opening from the woods nearing. That means we're almost home. Grayson and Xerxes were close behind, almost side by side with us.

We were neck and neck as we exited the woods, the race was practically a tie. But we had to slow down and end the race, otherwise we would crash into my house.

"That was a great race!" I turn to Grayson, who was smiling.

"Yeah, that was quite the race indeed. Unfortunately I have to head back to my ranch soon and get back to working."

"Haven't you got a ranch hand?" I ask, walking Buck back to Xerxes.

"No, it's all me. No one wants to work on my ranch."

"Do you mind if I ask why?"

"Eh..theres nobody really interested, especially with a town as small as Miradero everyone has their own part they need to tend to. Why break a horse and tend to a bunch when you only need to tend to one, maybe two, already broke one's?"

"I can see your point. Do you want a ranch hand?"

"Sure, it'd make life a helluva - excuse me. It'd make life and work a lot more manageable." He explained. I thought for a moment, and had an idea.

"Say, what work have ya got left for today, outta curiosity?"

"I've gotta muck the stalls, feed and water the horses, and brush them all out."

"I can come and help you, if you'd like" I offered.

"Why would you wanna do that?" Grayson seemed a bit defensive and grumpy again.

I dismounted Buck, and started to head to my porch. "Oh you just wait right there I'll be just a second." And I came back out super fast. I grabbed a basket and placed some of the baked goods I had sitting out in it. Mounting Buck, Grayson just watched silently. "You've been nice enough to me. I don't mind doing some dirty work if you're concerned about that. Just consider it 'neighborly love' or something like that."

"Hmmm. Well alrighty then. Much appreciated. What's in the basket?"

"Some food I baked earlier today, here, take one!" I say handing him an eclair from the basket. I ushered Buck forward, "There's plenty more. Now let's get a move on, we're burning daylight!"

I looked back after a couple steps, and Grayson was just looking at the eclair, then up to me. "Mr. Grayson! What do I have to do to get you to start moving?" I poked, stopping Buck.

"Maybe if you use my first name, that could work" he grinned, taking another bite of the eclair.

"Oh my gosh." I roll my eyes. "Come on Harlan, we haven't got all day"

Grayson ushered Xerxes forward. "Oooh I like the sound of that, it's sweet, like this eclair I got here." He poked as he passed me. My face was warm again and all I could do was let out a big exhale.

🏜🌻🏜🌻🏜🌻🏜

The ride to Graysons ranch was pleasant. I couldn't believe how close our properties were. It's a good thing I guess, considering how far out we are from town.

But the chores Grayson had to do were easy enough. He mucked out the stalls while I took the horses out to the ring to be brushed out. I finished before Grayson mucked out the stalls, so I filled up buckets with water from the well pump. I decided to top off the troughs outside first, dumping out the dirty water that sat low in the trough.

By the time I finished filling all the buckets again Grayson walked out of the barn.

"How far have ya got there with the chores Savannah?" He asked politely, wiping his hands off on his pants.

It was time for me to get back at him from earlier. "Mmm mmm mmm! Careful there Harlan..."

"What?" He asked confused.

"You keep saying my name like that I might never leave. Sounds sweet, like a nice apple pie" I hand him a pail of water. I can see his face starting to turn red, but he tilts his head down so his hat hides his face. With a cough, he picks up another pail of water while mumbling, "I think you're the one that's gonna be the death of me." And then heads into the barn to fill the stall troughs.

I just giggle to myself and pick up two water buckets of my own, heading to the barn. Thankfully, especially for my arms, the troughs only needed to be topped off. So four buckets were good enough this time. Grayson walks up to me, empty buckets in hand, reaching out for my empty buckets.

"Hey, did you want some pie?"

"I don't have any pie" he grumbled, hat still covering his face.

"I do though" I say following him out of the barn.

"It's getting late in the day, there won't be enough time to ride to your house and back without it being dark."

"Harlan, I brought some with me! In my basket!"

"You brought pie to eat after chores?" He questioned, eyebrow raised.

"Why not? We're adults. Besides, doesn't pie after working sound good?" We just stared at each other, almost comically.

"What kind of pie do you have in that basket of yours?" He asked placing a bucket under the pump.

"Peach cobbler" I lean against the well pump. When he stands up he must not have realized how close we were. His face nearly smashed into mine, but he stopped dangerously close to my face. He blinked a couple times before standing upright completely.

"Peach cobbler sounds pretty good right now." He admitted, as I pumped the well. "I just need this last bucket filled and we'll be done for the day."

"But all of the troughs ar–" I started, but I stopped when I was drenched with a bucket of water. I wiped the water from my eyes and face. Looking down at myself completely drenched, and up to Grayson who was stifling a laugh.

"Oh you think this is funny" I chuckle.

"Hey, you were dirty! You're welcome." He backed away as I started walking towards him, arms open wide.

"Come on Harlan. Don't you want a hug?"

"Not at this moment, thank you"

I noticed a trough behind him on the side of his house. Now all I have to do is stead him that way. "Oh man. No hug today? How about tomorrow?"

"As long as you're dry, then maybe"

He was right in front of it. But as soon as he started to realize my plan I had to distract him. "How about a kiss instead of a hug?"

"No– a what!?" He completely stopped walking backwards, but more importantly. He stopped thinking about the trough behind him. Bingo! I take a big step forward and Grayson falls back, butt first into the trough.

"Your butt was a little dirty, sorry" I chuckle as I tip his hat up. Then I take his hat and put it on my own head. "Mmmmm. It fits nice. Does it look nice on me?"

"It looks great." He said unamused. "This would look better though."

"What would loo–" I couldn't finish what I was going to say, because Grayson grabbed me by the waist and plopped me right next to him in the trough. Butt first just like him.

"Ah. I see what you mean now." I laugh, putting his hat back on his head crooked. "Did you still want some pie?"