Chapter 7: Dancing

Nathalie hadn't had a nightmare in years, though it seemed to be a night for firsts.

People said pain couldn't be felt during dreams, but she was feeling plenty. The ever-present burning in her chest was accompanied by a chilling vision. Her nightmare consisted of a dark and silent ocean. She seemed to be frozen in the water, with nothing but black seaweed below her. Slowly, the plant snaked upwards and looped around her arms and tail, knotting tightly.

Nathalie was pulled down into the unending darkness. She was forced to watch as her tail morphed into legs and the water became suffocating.

There was no one to save her.

With a cry, she abruptly awoke from her dream, shooting into a sitting position.

It was just a nightmare, but she found herself unable to breathe. She grabbed her chest, gasping for air between coughs.

A hand settled on her back. "Take deep breaths," came a voice.

Nathalie squeezed her eyes shut. A few moments passed and the coughing subsided, allowing her to breathe again.

She opened her eyes, turning her head to see Gabriel sitting next to her.

"Sorry," she murmured. "Just a dream."

"Are you okay?" That seemed to be his most frequent question, but she found she didn't mind.

"Yes."

"Are you sure? You're crying."

"I am?" She touched her face, surprised to feel tears. "It's probably from the coughing."

Looking unconvinced, he stood. "You should get ready before the children wake up," he suggested. "Do you need help standing?"

Nathalie dried her face with her sleeve before taking his offered hand and standing slowly. Feeling no signs of dizziness, she moved to head to her room.

"Please let me know if you start to feel worse," Gabriel said, hesitantly releasing her hand. "And, thank you. For last night."

She gave him a smile and nodded, stepping away. Nathalie made her way down the hall, quietly entering her room. Once inside, she caught sight of her reflection and winced. Her hair was loose and tangled and there were dark circles under her eyes from lack of sleep. The pain had mostly faded from her chest, so she focused on getting ready.

Gabriel watched Nathalie leave the room with a frown on his face. He was worried. She was getting worse, he knew it. What he hated most was the fact that she was trying to hide it. She probably thought it would make him worry less, but it had the opposite effect.

Some part of him had hoped that Nathalie was miraculously recovering after seeing her last night. She had looked so peaceful and different somehow.

Perhaps it was because she hadn't been in her formal attire and her hair had been loose.

Regardless, it was a good kind of different. But he was still worried.

"Now, let's discuss business," Alya said, inviting Nino into her and Marinette's room. Hopefully, Marinette wouldn't come back in the middle of their conversation.

"I'm all ears," Nino replied, sitting on the edge of Alya's bed. She stood in front of him, arms crossed thoughtfully.

"Let's face it: we have two potential couples who are hopelessly in love but have no idea," Alya began. "And I have the perfect idea to get them together."